FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis's New Ferula
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Kind of funny how some here find it sort of mixes up crucifixion and resurrection and others find it suggests too much separation. To each his own.

To me it looks . . . fluffy. Probably some "creative artist made it to appeal a little to everyone, thus guaranteeing that it will likely appeal to practically no one. Whatever. I have about zero likelihood of ever getting close enough to the pope t ever see it, so it really won't affect my life. But I do prefer mine: my wife's old Italian great-grandma's dark-brassy looking realistic corpus on a big block of wood cross. So big and bock-like I could pull it off the wall above our heads in an emergency and use it as a weapon. Oh, and with old great-grandma's glow-in-the-dark MASSIVE rosary hanging on it. Not the most tasteful ensemble, but it makes me feel comfy at night!
Still not as bad as JPII
(11-01-2013, 06:38 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: [ -> ]It look ugly to me. The rays behind the resurrected Christ look grotesque. The top part of the Cross looks less like wood than a lacerated appendage. The bottom part looks like a sorcer's staff.

The Crucifixion is supposed to be ugly.  I personally don't like the flowery ones where Jesus is all built up with his pecs & 8-pack.  I also don't care for the style of this one, it looks like he is laying down on a bed of woodchips or something.
(11-01-2013, 09:06 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]Now I have the liturgical bends.

That is a really good way of describing it.
If this is what people mean when they say "John Paul II's ferula"...
[Image: 14440_375x375.jpg]
I gotta admit - I really love this thing. I love the image of the Pope carrying an icon of Christ Crucified wherever he goes, for that is what we preach: the trampling down of death by death!

I think the new ferula pictured is an aesthetic abomination. Perhaps I'm merely being inconsistent.  :P
After having seen both i can say i like JPII's better.it looks like a couple of sticks put together into the shape of a cross with a simple carved corpus. It's not oranate but it is at least a crucifix while the new one is...ick.
I definitely don't like it.  My first impression, possibly helped by bad eyesight, was that it was a crazy jumble.  I didn't know that what was behind it were rays until a poster pointed that out; to me they obscured Christ.  I didn't like how Christ's hands seemed (to me) to be flung up in the air.  What happened to traditional beauty - or stark reality? This is neither one.
(11-01-2013, 10:40 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2013, 06:38 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: [ -> ]It look ugly to me. The rays behind the resurrected Christ look grotesque. The top part of the Cross looks less like wood than a lacerated appendage. The bottom part looks like a sorcer's staff.

The Crucifixion is supposed to be ugly.  I personally don't like the flowery ones where Jesus is all built up with his pecs & 8-pack.  I also don't care for the style of this one, it looks like he is laying down on a bed of woodchips or something.

I agree with you but I don't think people are ready for this.
[Image: real-bloody-crucifix.jpg]
(11-01-2013, 09:06 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]This ferula is truly hideous.  It has no unity; it looks thrown together.  The corpus does not match the cross.  It looks like Our Lord is on fire.  It's a portable resurrexifix.  It's in very bad taste.

My reaction as well.
(11-02-2013, 01:36 AM)CatholicLife Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2013, 10:40 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree with you but I don't think people are ready for this.
[Image: real-bloody-crucifix.jpg]

Probably the most realistic.  Spanish?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6