FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis's New Ferula
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(11-02-2013, 01:57 AM)karl Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2013, 01:36 AM)CatholicLife Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2013, 10:40 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2013, 06:38 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: [ -> ]It look ugly to me. The rays behind the resurrected Christ look grotesque. The top part of the Cross looks less like wood than a lacerated appendage. The bottom part looks like a sorcer's staff.

The Crucifixion is supposed to be ugly.  I personally don't like the flowery ones where Jesus is all built up with his pecs & 8-pack.  I also don't care for the style of this one, it looks like he is laying down on a bed of woodchips or something.

I agree with you but I don't think people are ready for this.
[Image: real-bloody-crucifix.jpg]

Probably the most realistic.  Spanish?

I'm not sure. I saw it on a blog.

I don't like it. And I didn't like the one belonging to John Paul II.

I like this one:

[Image: ferula%20pope%20benedict%20xvi.jpg]
Love the Marian mitre too
I don't like this new ferula. It looks like an explosion is taking place behind our Lord. And it looks like they chopped off one of Jesus' legs, if you look closely to the picture below. Jesus was nailed to the Cross. On this new ferula, His hands are no longer nailed to the Cross. I think He would have fallen off the Cross if they had done this to Him 2000 years ago!
[Image: ferula+nuova+papa.jpg]
This is the kind of thing it reminds me of:

[Image: mission5.jpg]
From Rorate Caeli:

For today's Papal Mass at the Campo Verano cemetery, the Pope made use of a new ferula. This one features the Risen Christ in front of the Cross, an arrangement sometimes called "Resurrexifix".

This ferula was donated to the Pope last month by Goldlake, a mining corporation that is part of major Italian cement holding Gruppo Financo, with mining concessions in Argentina and Honduras (from which came the metals used for this staff).

Personally I find it disgusting and garish.  But then I find alot of stuff the NO and secular world  promotes as ugly, gross and crude.  Music, art, churches, you name it.  So why am I not surprised that the current Pope uses these crude crosses over and over.  What is wrong with things of beauty.  God created the world and what was in in a beautiful manner.  It is sin and evil that distorts and corrupts beauty. That is the devil's doings.  I don't see how this cross would inspire anybody to give glory to God.  Just my opinion. 
I think it's too disjointed to look like a Resurrexifix.  He still looks like he is hanging on a cross... his feet are still on top of one another... his physical posture does not suggest standing but rather hanging.  It is like the corpus fell off the Crucifix and the person repairing it was blindfolded and missed where the hands go entirely.  The whole thing just looks thrown off kilter, kind of like the Church is today.... so what can we expect?

At this angel it looks like Jesus is laying in a manger of crazy straw.
I like Benedict's shown above.  Looks like it came straight from the Romanesque era (which, perhaps not coincidently, has many fine example in Germany from the Holy Roman Emperors).
(11-02-2013, 12:40 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]

At this angel it looks like Jesus is laying in a manger of crazy straw.

More like a bug you'd want to step on if you found it in your garden.

Ergo, the:

Berg-Ugly-O Bug crucifix...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6