FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis's New Ferula
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(11-02-2013, 03:15 PM)FatherCekada Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2013, 12:40 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]
[Image: ferula+nuova+papa.jpg]

At this angel it looks like Jesus is laying in a manger of crazy straw.

More like a bug you'd want to step on if you found it in your garden.

Ergo, the:

Berg-Ugly-O Bug crucifix...[/font]

That's not a reverent thing to say about an image of Christ even if is an aesthetically inferior one.
(11-02-2013, 03:29 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]

Ergo, the:

That's not a reverent thing to say about an image of Christ even if is an aesthetically inferior one.

It's UGLY, UGLY, UGLY!
(11-02-2013, 03:41 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]

Ergo, the:

It's UGLY, UGLY, UGLY!

Yeah, but I think comparing an image of Christ, however defective, to a bug you would crush with your foot, is crossing a line.
(11-02-2013, 03:15 PM)FatherCekada Wrote: [ -> ]More like a bug you'd want to step on if you found it in your garden.

Ergo, the:

The image itself is irreverent -- that is, "it fails to manifest the reverence due a sacred person," in this case, Our Lord, because it is grotesque and distorted.

It reflects, moreover, the pretentious principles of ugly modern art, which are contrary to reason and which deserve nothing but mockery — like its predecessor, Paul VI's infamous Twisted Lizard ferula.

I suspect that your patron, old G.K. himself, would probably have agreed with with me on this. He might have even come up with a funnier name for it.  :)
(11-02-2013, 04:18 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2013, 03:41 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]

Ergo, the:

It's UGLY, UGLY, UGLY!

Yeah, but I think comparing an image of Christ, however defective, to a bug you would crush with your foot, is crossing a line.

Good point, Chestertonian.  Let's face it, if we had a true representation of our Lord crucified, it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing.  There is nothing pleasing to our eyes in what happened to Jesus Christ on the cross.
I have found and killed some rather unsightly bugs in my days of gardening, but I never wanted to step on them because of how they looked, since they are after all made by God. I think Chesterton would agree.

Man.

Most modern art  is trash. The piece in question is just as hideous as the grotesque image in the Paul VI Hall. A good reflection of the theology of the modernists. Up is down, black is white, bad is good... 

I agree it is hideous but it is trying to depict Christ (or some see Him there, regardless of the original intentions of the designer).  I might pick it up and kiss it and ask Our Lord to forgive us for the unthinkable things we have done to Him, including showing Him like this.
Why not melt it down, sell the resulting byproduct, and give the proceeds to the poor? Sounds like a Francis-like idea...
(11-01-2013, 05:52 PM)RedCaves Wrote: [ -> ][Image: Francisferula_zpsf9d3e97d.jpg]

The look on Francis' face gives me the impression that he didn't care much for it or doesn't know what to make of it. Maybe he used it out of respect for the people that donated it.  :shrug:  Does anyone really know?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6