FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Peter the Roman?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Many have dismissed the so-called prophecies of St. Malachi---and for many, the election of Pope Francis seemed like a final nail in the coffin for the veracity of the list of "final popes". Many cannot see a connection with our Argentinian Pope Francis and and "Peter the Roman".

Observing how our current successor of Peter has taken the reigns of his papacy, its seems that our pope is bringing himself to the common citizen on the street. Beginning with his first day in office he personally payed for his hotel bill; he's traded the traditional red papal shoes for his normal street shoes; he places phone calls to common folk to resolve people's ordinary issues; he gives impromptu interviews and mingles with the crowd unlike many pope in recent history.

Is it possible that "Peter the Roman"--simply means "Peter" the successor of the papacy, and "Roman" as in a a common citizen of the world?  Though the pope resides in the Vatican, Popes have always been the Bishops of Rome.

[Image: 5xsx.jpg]

The prophecy about Peter the Roman states:

In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit [as bishop] Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations, and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills [Rome] will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The End.

If indeed it St. Malachi's prophecies are legitimate after all and we are in the age of Peter the Roman, then the warnings from the Church-approved apparition at Akita may be upon us..

Malachy's prophecy is not legit at all.
(11-14-2013, 06:30 AM)PolishTrad Wrote: [ -> ]Malachy's prophecy is not legit at all.

That isn't quite so, the ones written while it was lost in the Vatican are all obviously tampered with, but the remaining ones are a different writer and have been shown to be right on the target. In the Conclave which elected Pope John XXIII the Cardinal Spellman hired a boat to sail the Tiber, because the prophecy indicated the next Pope would be a sailor. Pope John XXIII was from Venice. For  being not legit many Cardinals take them seriously.

tim
I once studied biographies of random 10 American presidents and compared them with 10 sentences from the prophecy and with 80% accuracy I was able to prove they had indeed been predicted by St Malachy.
Also the choice of anti-popes to be included in the list is 100% arbitrary. Either no anti-pope should be there, or all. And if not all, then why these and not those.

Too many weak points.
There is definitely something about him that makes him seem more "Roman" in the sense of local, of Bishop of Rome, than the great international leaders previous popes have been. I also think there is something to the title that relates to our time. We are back in Rome now, the old, pagan Rome has returned and we have diminished in power and influence so that we are as we were at the beginning. And the pope is certainly actin as if this were the case, with his emphasis on the corporal works of charity.
(11-14-2013, 07:28 AM)PolishTrad Wrote: [ -> ]I once studied biographies of random 10 American presidents and compared them with 10 sentences from the prophecy and with 80% accuracy I was able to prove they had indeed been predicted by St Malachy.
Also the choice of anti-popes to be included in the list is 100% arbitrary. Either no anti-pope should be there, or all. And if not all, then why these and not those. Too many weak points.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But prophecies tend to be fulfilled in ways that are different than what people imagined beforehand. Whether St. Malachi's prophecies are authentic remains to be seen. If the list is authentic then the correct number of antipopes is included; not one more, and not one less.
(11-16-2013, 06:33 PM)Gabriel Serafin Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2013, 07:28 AM)PolishTrad Wrote: [ -> ]I once studied biographies of random 10 American presidents and compared them with 10 sentences from the prophecy and with 80% accuracy I was able to prove they had indeed been predicted by St Malachy.
Also the choice of anti-popes to be included in the list is 100% arbitrary. Either no anti-pope should be there, or all. And if not all, then why these and not those. Too many weak points.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But prophecies tend to be fulfilled in ways that are different than what people imagined beforehand. Whether St. Malachi's prophecies are authentic remains to be seen. If the list is authentic then the correct number of antipopes is included; not one more, and not one less.
Naturally we cannot say this prophecy is false before pope Francis dies/abdicates and is succeeded, but I see no slightest reason to believe it's authentic.
And by the way, if the prophecy were real, people in the 16th century would have been sure that for the time being there would be no Apocalypse, so the Parable of the Ten Virgins, for instance, would be worthless.
In my opinion relying on prophecies like this is no different from relying on horoscopes: they are a futile way to try and "control" what's going on.

EVEN IF TRUE. 

Which they ain't!
(11-14-2013, 07:23 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2013, 06:30 AM)PolishTrad Wrote: [ -> ]Malachy's prophecy is not legit at all.

That isn't quite so, the ones written while it was lost in the Vatican are all obviously tampered with, but the remaining ones are a different writer and have been shown to be right on the target. In the Conclave which elected Pope John XXIII the Cardinal Spellman hired a boat to sail the Tiber, because the prophecy indicated the next Pope would be a sailor. Pope John XXIII was from Venice. For  being not legit many Cardinals take them seriously.

tim

being from Venice doesn't make you a sailor though...
(11-16-2013, 07:18 PM)PolishTrad Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2013, 06:33 PM)Gabriel Serafin Wrote: [ -> ]

You've lost me with the reference to no Apocalypse, the 16th century, and the 10 Virgins ??

tim
Naturally we cannot say this prophecy is false before pope Francis dies/abdicates and is succeeded, but I see no slightest reason to believe it's authentic.
And by the way, if the prophecy were real, people in the 16th century would have been sure that for the time being there would be no Apocalypse, so the Parable of the Ten Virgins, for instance, would be worthless.
Pages: 1 2