FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Priscilla Catacombs and Proof of Women Priests in Early Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

LOL! From Eye of the Tiber:

[Image: orans-prayer.jpg]

Newly Revealed Catacomb Painting Undeniable Proof That Women Were Able To Raise Hands In Air In Early Church
November 22, 2013 by Admin 
Filed under Libs & Trads

VATICAN–Newly restored frescoes from the Catacombs of Priscilla were unveiled by the Vatican on Tuesday, some of which reveal that women in early Christianity were able to lift their hands in the air. This has led some to conclude that if a woman was able to lift her hands above her shoulders as the image suggests, then early Christians must have allowed women to become priests. The Catacombs, which are located in the northern part of Rome, and are better known as the “Queen of the catacombs” features 4th century paintings from biblical scenes, one showing an image of a woman able to raise her arms above her shoulders, like a man. For 48-year-old Desiree Gibson of New Haven, Connecticut, this raises the question, “If women are no different than men with regards to upper limb dexterity, then why can’t women become priests now?” According to Fabrizio Bisconti, the superintendent of the Vatican’s Sacred Archaeology Commission, the woman on the picture “is indeed celebrating Eucharist.” “I would not have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. The image is clearly one of a woman celebrating Mass. I feel so stupid. All these years we were led to believe that women have never been and can never become priests. But this image of the woman raising her hands just above her shoulders is undeniable proof that women were priests in the early Church.”

But there's no evidence in scripture or the writings of the Holy Father's suggesting there were women priests. The picture from the catacombs is interesting but it really says nothing about who that woman is or what her role is. The sheer weight of tradition is against a female priesthood.
Thanks for the laugh. I took me a minute to realize that the site is like the Catholic version of "The Onion".  Some of those articles had me in stitches! Thanks!  LOL
Why do they assume the standing figure is a woman? Those look like man hands. Smile
The image is most likely that of a man, as female figures in the ancient catacombs weren't usually depicted their ankles exposed, and their waists were usually girded.
[Image: wjiw.jpg]
The figure also appears to be wearing a Rabbi's shawl
[Image: 4nqk.jpg]
In this catacomb image Christ is shown on the right:
[Image: e6nb.jpg]
(11-23-2013, 04:12 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]But there's no evidence in scripture or the writings of the Holy Father's suggesting there were women priests. The picture from the catacombs is interesting but it really says nothing about who that woman is or what her role is. The sheer weight of tradition is against a female priesthood.
who needs scripture when we have graffiti  ! Sticking tongue out at you Hi!
(11-23-2013, 09:07 PM)Gabriel Serafin Wrote: [ -> ]Why do they assume the standing figure is a woman? Those look like man hands. Smile

Because it suits their agenda.