FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis affirms Hermeneutic of Continuity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Today the Vatican website published the Latin letter addressed by Pope Francis to Cardinal Brandmuller on the celebrations for the 450th anniversary of the closing of the Council of Trent.

The letter affirms the continued importance of the doctrine of Council of Trent. While some might dismiss this as mere routine, this letter has the significance of being the very first occasion (to our knowledge) that Francis has directly and explicitly invoked, when touching upon the interpretation of doctrine, the authority of Benedict XVI's epoch-dividing December 22, 2005 address on the "'hermeneutic of reform', of renewal in the continuity of the one subject-Church." (Sometimes shortened to 'hermeneutic of reform in continuity' and, with less precision, to 'hermeneutic of continuity'.)

Coming back to the letter's treatment of the Council of Trent: regardless of the actual "level" of this document (which at least is not a mere summary or an interview with a secular newspaper), and without the need to assume anything about future events in this unfolding Pontificate, we now have something "quotable" from this Pope about the continued importance of Trent -- not just as a historical event, but in its doctrinal heritage.

Bold added by me. More here

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/11...trent.html

What surprises me most of all about this letter is that Pope Francis uses the royal "we."
Smile Smile Smile
In many ways he has more cojones than BXVI. BXVI could never have gotten away with this. But he has been on such a roll lately, that it is only a matter of time before the libs run out of patience with him and he gets blacklisted by them as a traitor.
(11-23-2013, 05:01 PM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]Today the Vatican website published the Latin letter addressed by Pope Francis to Cardinal Brandmuller on the celebrations for the 450th anniversary of the closing of the Council of Trent.

The letter affirms the continued importance of the doctrine of Council of Trent. While some might dismiss this as mere routine, this letter has the significance of being the very first occasion (to our knowledge) that Francis has directly and explicitly invoked, when touching upon the interpretation of doctrine, the authority of Benedict XVI's epoch-dividing December 22, 2005 address on the "'hermeneutic of reform', of renewal in the continuity of the one subject-Church." (Sometimes shortened to 'hermeneutic of reform in continuity' and, with less precision, to 'hermeneutic of continuity'.)

Coming back to the letter's treatment of the Council of Trent: regardless of the actual "level" of this document (which at least is not a mere summary or an interview with a secular newspaper), and without the need to assume anything about future events in this unfolding Pontificate, we now have something "quotable" from this Pope about the continued importance of Trent -- not just as a historical event, but in its doctrinal heritage.

Bold added by me. More here

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/11...trent.html

Thank you.
(11-23-2013, 05:27 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]What surprises me most of all about this letter is that Pope Francis uses the royal "we."

oui ("wee")
He doth uses thy royal term "we"Huh?

Well even if Pope Francis wears the papal tiara...I'm sure the sedes and pseudo-trads will still deny he's Pope.
(11-24-2013, 02:25 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]He doth uses thy royal term "we"Huh?

Well even if Pope Francis wears the papal tiara...I'm sure the sedes and pseudo-trads will still deny he's Pope.

I think its more likely that "We" is being used to signify those who wrote this letter with the pope in Rome, or the collective episcopacy, than the pope in unity with St Peter and all his successors. That or the occassion of the memorial of Trent inspired traditional language, which seems very strong and profound in this letter.

Time for Rome to resume the doctrinal discussions of the SSPX-Rome Commission.  Next question: what parts of Vatican II are fallible and potentially in rupture with the Church before the Council?  ie When is it licit, and not an impediment to being a Catholic in good standing, to publically make a hermeneutic of rupture on those aspects of Vatican II in question?
Oh man I might lose it, if I hear a "Syllabus of Errors Concerning the Second Vatican Council" being talked about by Holy Father!  Grin

the 'We' was refreshing, but I was astounded to read the term 'Holy Ghost' come from the vatican
Pages: 1 2