FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Book that Inspired the Little Flower
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Anyone ever hear of this book? I hadn't, but got an email today from a fellow paisan' asking about it. He sent me this link to a website that talks about it:  http://www.susanconroy.com/endoftheworld.shtml.  Apparently, Ste. Therese of Lisieux said of it,

[html]
Quote: I was nourished for a long time on the "pure flour" contained in the Imitation of Christ.... At the age of fourteen, with my desire for knowledge, God found it necessary to join to the "pure flour" some "honey and oil in abundance." This honey and oil He showed me in Father Arminjon's conferences on the end of the present world and the mysteries of the future life.... All the great truths of religion, the mysteries of eternity, plunged my soul into a happiness not of this earth. I experienced already what God reserves for those who love Him (not with the eye but with the heart), and seeing that the eternal rewards had no proportion to life's small sacrifices, I wanted to love, to love Jesus with a passion, to give Him a thousand proofs of my love while I still could.
[/html]

[Image: 51eQtoB%2BfLL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,To...3,200_.jpg]

End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life
by Fr. Charles Arminjon (Author) , Susan Conroy (Translator) , Peter McEnerny (Translator)
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Sophia Institute Press (January 26, 2009)
Language: English

That's news to me, I will have to find it.

C.
I have read it - based mostly on Sister's recommendation - and it brought me some of the greatest joys of my life.
I have it, I read it, I recommend it.
Yes, I've heard of it. It's on my list of books to read, as is the book that inspired St. Teresa of Avila: The Third Spiritual Alphabet. Smile
(11-26-2013, 08:50 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone ever hear of this book? I hadn't, but got an email today from a fellow paisan' asking about it. He sent me this link to a website that talks about it:  http://www.susanconroy.com/endoftheworld.shtml.  Apparently, Ste. Therese of Lisieux said of it,

Quote: I was nourished for a long time on the "pure flour" contained in the Imitation of Christ.... At the age of fourteen, with my desire for knowledge, God found it necessary to join to the "pure flour" some "honey and oil in abundance." This honey and oil He showed me in Father Arminjon's conferences on the end of the present world and the mysteries of the future life.... All the great truths of religion, the mysteries of eternity, plunged my soul into a happiness not of this earth. I experienced already what God reserves for those who love Him (not with the eye but with the heart), and seeing that the eternal rewards had no proportion to life's small sacrifices, I wanted to love, to love Jesus with a passion, to give Him a thousand proofs of my love while I still could.

[Image: 51eQtoB%2BfLL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,To...3,200_.jpg]

End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life
by Fr. Charles Arminjon (Author) , Susan Conroy (Translator) , Peter McEnerny (Translator)
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Sophia Institute Press (January 26, 2009)
Language: English
Yes, I've read it many times.  I have a copy.  Get someone to give it to you as a Christmas present.  Excellent book.
I was glad to see this.  I recently read about this book and have been planning to look for it.  Now I am even more interested.
(11-27-2013, 09:29 AM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I've heard of it. It's on my list of books to read, as is the book that inspired St. Teresa of Avila: The Third Spiritual Alphabet. Smile

I have Osuna's Third Spiritual Alphabet,  It is really a big volume, 608 pages, but it is excellent.  He describes methods to "guard the heart" with all vigilance in order to remove distractions that prevent holy recollection.  I believe this is a gift from God that one should ceaselessly strive to obtain.  A shorter book that is also excellent on this topic is Brother Lawrence's Practice of the Presence of God.  I recently ordered a copy from Amazon for my Kindle and it costs $.00.  No, that is not a typo.   I had a copy but loaned it to someone who never returned it.  Of course, the Alphabet is full of advice and it can be somewhat repetitive and wordy.  The only drawback is that the chapters do not indicate what the topic is, but are simply presented as the first, second, third, etc. Treatise.  It is difficult to find something specific under such a general heading.

I see that the book by Fr. Arminjon is also on Kindle, and since I just got a gift certificate for my birthday, I may download it.  Thanks everyone for your recommendations! 

EDIT:  I just bought it!  Whew -- it is 336 pages!  Looks like I'll have material for meditation, not only for Advent, but beyond ... maybe even though Lent.  LOL!

2ND EDIT:  Does anyone know if the author is the same Susan Conroy who lived and worked with Mother Teresa?  She had a series on EWTN telling about what she learned during her time with our saint.
Yes, I have it ... I recommend it! It gives you a good idea of the historical Catholic view of eschatology - not the post Vatican II view, be it neo liberal or neo traditionalist.