FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Holy Communion for Infants and Icons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Forgive me if the members of this forum have already discussed the following topics. 

Over the years, I have had some conversations with my Eastern Orthodox father.  One opinion expressed by him, and Eastern Orthodoxy as a whole, makes abundant sense to me.  He has argued that infants should receive Holy Communion.  As you know, the Eastern Orthodox do not place any prohibitions on children concerning the reception of this sacrament.  Since babies and young children do not commit mortal sin, isn't it logical to fortify them with the bread of angels? This would make it more difficult for evil to take root in their lives. I would welcome the Catholic Church introducing this practice.  Any thoughts?

Also, as someone who especially appreciates the music and art of the Russian Orthodox church, I have wondered why icons are not more prevalent in the Western Church.  Was there a time when icons were incorporated in the liturgy of the Catholic Church?  ???
I think the East has it right in terms of Communion for infants and icons. There is something in St Bedes Eccesiastical History of the English People that mentions sone imaged in churches that sound more like bas relief images or icons, not statues but I'll have to find the page and post it. Theologically the Easts way if looking at icons and forbidding statues makes sense...but I'm not personally against statues. I do prefer icons though. In most things I think the East is closer to the Apostolic tradition, everything from forbidding kneeling on Sundays to keeping Wed and Fri fast days to crossing oneself from right to left.
Personally I would not have a problem at all with giving babies Holy Communion. Of course there are people who would probably worry about the child spitting it out. I don't know how they administer it in the Orthodox or Eastern rite churches but maybe someone who knows can chime in. As for holy icons, I think they are becoming more and more popular for individual Catholics to have in the home. That was my experience working in a religious goods store. We were getting tons of requests for more Eastern art. But no way do I see it happening in Roman Catholic churches. First, in the "renovation" after Vatican II they got rid of so many statues. Do you really think they'll replace statues with icons? I don't think so, because it's not our tradition. But admittedly I don't get around to many churches.   
Holy Communion is by intinction in the East...the priest puts some of the Body of our Lord in a spoonful of the precious Blood and puts it in the communicants mouth
(11-27-2013, 10:25 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]First, in the "renovation" after Vatican II they got rid of so many statues. Do you really think they'll replace statues with icons? I don't think so, because it's not our tradition. But admittedly I don't get around to many churches.   

That might be changing. When our parish underwent "restoration" in 2008, note only were the statues restored and put in their proper/original placements, an eccelisatical artist came and painted... icons! Not many, but a few. We also had roundels of saints painted up along the ceiling. It's breathtaking.

Icons are a part of the Roman tradition --but they early on were overtaken in prevalence by other forms of art. See: http://www.fisheaters.com/images.html  See some of the icons at the bottom.  That said, I LOVE icons.

Per the subject line: "Holy Communion for Infants and Icons" -- I don't recommend giving Communion to your icons, no. They have a hard time swallowing it :P

In the Eastern Churches, both Orthodox and Catholic, infants receive Holy Communion under the species of wine alone until they are old enough to swallow solids.  They do not spit it out.  In the Latin Church, the practice stopped when the faithful stopped receiving from the chalice. 

Pius X speaks of the practice with approval in Quam singulari, in which he directed the Latin clergy not to withhold First Holy Communion beyond the age of reason.

http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius10/p10quam.htm
(11-27-2013, 10:30 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]Holy Communion is by intinction in the East...the priest puts some of the Body of our Lord in a spoonful of the precious Blood and puts it in the communicants mouth.

Not all.  Melkites do not use a spoon, nor do Maronites.  Of course, at our parish (Russyn), we do.  And infants receive Holy Communion as well, but under only one species, as Spas noted above.
Melchites don't? ??? I know the Ukrainians and Ruthenians do.  Maronites have unleavened Hosts and use intinction (similar to some Roman parishes did during the Mediaeval era).
(11-27-2013, 07:57 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: [ -> ]Melchites don't? ??? I know the Ukrainians and Ruthenians do.  Maronites have unleavened Hosts and use intinction (similar to some Roman parishes did during the Mediaeval era).

Correct.  Melkite priests take the species of leavened bread and use intinction like Maronites.  No spoon.  The difference is that Maronites, as you mentioned, use Hosts; Melkites use leavened bread.