FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: pope confirmation question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today the pope administered confirmation to some boys in a Roman parish. In the video that I saw a few of the boys had female sponsors. Is this legit? I thought boys only had male sponsors.
(12-02-2013, 05:44 AM)a83192 Wrote: [ -> ]Today the pope administered confirmation to some boys in a Roman parish. In the video that I saw a few of the boys had female sponsors. Is this legit? I thought boys only had male sponsors.

The relevant Canon in the Code says nothing about the sex of the sponsor:

CIC, 1983 Wrote:CHAPTER IV.

SPONSORS

Can.  892 Insofar as possible, there is to be a sponsor for the person to be confirmed; the sponsor is to take care that the confirmed person behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligations inherent in this sacrament.

Can.  893 §1. To perform the function of sponsor, a person must fulfill the conditions mentioned in ⇒ can. 874.

And Canon 874, cited in Canon 893, makes no mention of sex either:

CIC, 1983 Wrote:§1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;

4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;

5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.