FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 88% Approval Rating For Pope Francis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Full Article:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/24...-sky-high/

Short snippet:

Quote:(CNN) – As Pope Francis prepares to celebrate his first Christmas at the Vatican, Americans' opinions of the pontiff appear to be as high as the dome on St. Peter's Basilica, according to a new survey.

A CNN/ORC International poll released Tuesday found that 88% of American Catholics approve of how Francis is handling his role as head of the 1.2 billion-member church.

The popular pontiff has also made a positive impression among Americans in general: Nearly three in four view Francis favorably.  The new survey suggests that the Pope is arguably the most well-regarded religious figure among the American public today, said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Nine months into his papacy, the Argentine-born Francis has captured attention with crowd-pleasing acts of compassion, from embracing a severely disfigured man, to washing the feet of juvenile delinquents, to hosting homeless men at his birthday Mass this month.

The Pope has also shown a common touch rare for such a lofty religious leader. He has eschewed the trappings of the papacy in favor of humbler digs, simpler vestments and a cheaper car. He worked as a bar bouncer and a janitor before he was a priest, and is not shy about telling people.

According to one study, Pope Francis was the most talked about person on the Internet this year, and even atheists have professed appreciation for the 77-year-old pontiff.

The breadth of Francis' popularity was on display at American newsstands this month: he was named person of the year by both Time magazine and The Advocate, a gay and lesbian publication.

"While 2013 will be remembered for the work of hundreds in advancing marriage equality, it will also be remembered for the example of one man," The Advocate said. In remarks that rippled across the globe, Pope Francis said in July, "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?”

While I admire his brazenness for trusting in God to go into slums unprotected to be with the poor and his nightly escapades to give to the poor (not a dig at the last two pontiffs as they had valid reasons for not doing so) I just am worried by this popularity of His Holiness among American Catholics.

When 54% of American Catholics voted for Obama and I just saw that only 75% of Catholics plan to attend Mass for Christmas.
Please be Pio Nono, please be Pio Nono, please be Pio Nono

PLEASE BE ANOTHER PIO NONO ON THE INSIDE!!!  :((
The secular world only understands the Church in a temporal sense, and that seems to be Pope Francis' focus. He wants and advocates for a "poor" Church and that is exactly what the world thinks the Catholic Church's place should be. Corporal works of mercy, period. Forget the spiritual. Get rid of those "musty" traditions. I think as long as that image is perpetuated (by his actions) he will continue to be a worldly superstar.

MDA
I think the pope is more worried about feeding the poor than keeping souls out of hell.

Most Catholics voted for the baby killer in chief. I think the pope needs to shift focus on spiritual aspects of things.
(12-24-2013, 06:57 PM)Asperges me Wrote: [ -> ]I think the pope is more worried about feeding the poor than keeping souls out of hell.

Most Catholics voted for the baby killer in chief. I think the pope needs to shift focus on spiritual aspects of things.

Too small-minded!
My friend has stated that this popularity of the pope is going to fade. He stated that liberals praise him for being someone they falsely believe him to be (pro abortion, same sex marriage, women priests/cardins/deacons etc) conservatives will also dislike him which we have already seen (Evangelii Gaudium and sucg)

Let us pray that it be not too long till people realize he is the pole and not a president or such.

The other possibility is that Pope Francis could be another Pope Pious IX which if that is the case then I can only hope that Pope Francis realizes the evil of liberals as the true enemies of the church and that he may be a pope convert to tradition and thus a traditional pope

Pray, pray, pray, and some penance as well

I guess I am part of the 12%.
I guess I'm in the extreme minority. I am "Undecided".
(12-24-2013, 11:31 PM)JCCMADD Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I am part of the 12%.
Me too.
Pages: 1 2