FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Womyn Get Liturgical
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

I like to do this periodically:  post strange "liturgies" from the WATER types (that is, women who are a part of the Women's Alliance for Theology, Ethics, and Ritual). The following comes from the WATER website.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

From their Pentecost liturgy:

April Pentecost Prayer: Come, Sophia-Spirit
by Diann L. Neu

Pentecost, fifty days after Easter, celebrates the coming of the Holy Spirit upon her people. It is the birthday of the Christian church. The Holy Spirit’s Greek name is Sophia. Wisdom is her English name; Chokmah is her Hebrew name; Sapientia is her Latin name.

Divine Wisdom, Sophia-Spirit, calls for the liberation of all from patriarchy and kyriarchy. This is what we celebrate today as we bless bread, wine, juice, and food.

Vox Wrote:They made me look up a word:

Kyriarchy ("rule by a lord"; from the Greek κύριος/kyrios "lord or master" and αρχή/arche "authority, leadership") is a social system or set of connecting social systems built around domination, oppression, and submission. The word itself is a neologism coined by Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza to describe interconnected, interacting, and self-extending systems of domination and submission, in which a single individual might be oppressed in some relationships and privileged in others.[1] It is an intersectional extension of the idea of patriarchy[1] beyond gender. Kyriarchy encompasses sexism, racism, homophobia, economic injustice, and other forms of dominating hierarchy in which the subordination of one person or group to another is internalized and institutionalized

Blessed are you, Womb of All Creation, Spirit-Sophia. With joy we give you thanks and praise for creating a diverse world and for creating women in your image.

Come, Sophia-Spirit, come. 

Blessed are you, God of our Mothers, Spirit Sophia. You call diverse women to participate in salvation history: Eve, Lilith, Sarah, Hagar, Miriam, Naomi and Ruth, Mary, Mary Magdalene, Tecla, Phoebe, Hildegard of Bingen, Sor Juana, Sojourner Truth, Mother Theodore Guerin, all WATER women, and countless others.

Vox Wrote:Isn't it just lovely how they put the Blessed Virgin, Naomi, Ruth, Mary Magdalen, St. Hildegard, and Mother Theodore Guerin in with the demon Lilith? Are these people insane?

Blessed are you, Creator of all seasons and all peoples, Spirit-Sophia. You call us to be prophets, teachers, house church leaders, ministers, saints, and to image your loving and challenging presence.

Blessed are you, Companion on the Journey, Spirit-Sophia. In your abundant love you welcome all to come and dine. You proclaim from the rooftops, “Come and eat my bread, drink the wine which I have drawn.”

Come, Holy Sister, Spirit-Sophia, upon this bread, wine, juice, and food. Come as breath and breathe your life anew into our aching bones. Come as wind and refresh our weary souls. Come as fire and purge us and our communities of sexism, racism, classism, heterosexism, ageism, and all evils.

As we eat, drink, and enjoy the Pentecost banquet, may Sophia-Spirit rise within us like a rushing wind. May Sophia-Spirit spark the churches like a revolutionary fire. May Sophia-Spirit flow through the world like a life-giving breath.

Amen. Blessed be. May it be so.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

From their liturgy devoted to St. Brigid:

Brigit’s Story by Diann Neu and Anna Roeschley

Greetings, Sisters! I am Brigit of Ireland. The stories and legends about me run deep and wide, but I will highlight a few for you. I was born in the middle of 5th century CE. My mother was sold to a Druid by my father, a chieftain, while she was still pregnant with me. Thus, I was born into a Druid household and taught the secrets of the old religion by my stepfather. It is said that my Druid stepfather had a vision that I was to be named after the great goddess Brigit.

Ancient Brigit was goddess of the hearth and of the sacred practice of smithcraft, which involved the mastering of fire. Because I channel Brigit’s characteristics, I am known as the Mistress of the Mantle. I represent fire and sun, and I am also seen as a sister and companioning figure. Some believe I was the midwife to Mary and the foster-mother to Jesus.

Vox Wrote:So, St. Brigid is a "channeler," eh? And a time traveller who acted as midwife for Our Lady -- AND as a "foster-mother" to Jesus? Where did THAT come from?! (I have a feeling some Dan Brown out there has a realllllllly "scholarly" answer LOL)

August Ritual: Wisdom Cries Out

This ritual was created for the Catholic Feminist Movement Building Gathering sponsored by WATER and Call To Action in July 2012 at the Retreat and Conference Center of Bon Secours in Marriottsville, MD.

Chime bell three times
Wisdom cries out in the street;
In the squares she raises her voice.
At the busiest corner she cries out;
At the entrance of the city gates she speaks: (Proverbs 1:20-21)

Chime bell once
“Once again, we watch dumbfounded as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith directs a ‘doctrinal assessment of’ or a ‘calling attention to’ or the ‘punishment of’ those who, according to the CDF, break away from the proper observance of Catholic doctrine.”
–Ivone Gebara, feminist theologian from Brazil
Pause

Chime bell once
“Our rituals threaten the social cohesion of patriarchal society.”
–Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz, mujerista theologian born in Cuba
Pause

Chime bell once
“Truth suffers, but never dies.”
–Theresa of Avila, Doctor of the Church from Spain
Pause

Chime bell once
“Although silence explains much by the emphasis of leaving all unexplained, because it is a negative thing, one must name the silence, so that what it signifies may be understood. Failing that, silence will say nothing, for that is its proper function: to say nothing.”
–Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, feminist scholar and poet from Mexico
Pause

Chime bell once
“Proclaim the truth and do not be silent through fear.”
–Catherine of Siena, Doctor of the Church from Italy
Pause

Chime bell once
“Love abounds in all things…”
–Hildegard of Bingen, Rhineland mystic from Germany
Pause

Chime bell once
“If my sister or brother is not at the table, we are not the flesh of Christ. If my sister’s mark of sexuality must be obscured, if my brother’s mark of race must be disguised, if my sister’s mark of culture must be repressed, then we are not the flesh of Christ. For, it is through and in Christ’s own flesh that the ‘other’ is my sister, is my brother; indeed, the ‘other’ is me…”
–Shawn Copeland, womanist theologian in the United States

Chime bell three times

Vox Wrote:Once again, calling upon OUR Saints, our virtuous heroines in the Faith, to promote paganism. What nerve!

A Women’s Eucharist A Celebration of the Divine Feminine (originally found here:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/41685_52038_ENG_HTM.htm 10/8/2004)

We gather around a low table, covered with a woven cloth or shawl. A candle, a bowl or vase of flowers, a large shallow bowl filled with salted water, a chalice of sweet red wine, a cup of milk mixed with honey, and a plate of raisin cakes are placed on the table. When all are seated on the floor and comfortable, one of the women lights the candles saying,

"Mother God, Giver of light, let this flame illumine our hearts and minds. May its warmth remind us of the love in which you embrace us all. We thank you, Mother, for light."

Placing both hands on the fabric covering the table, one of the women says,

"We thank you, Mother, for the hands that wove this cloth. May her life be rich and full. We thank you for the colors, the textures, and the patterns that cover our sacred time and places. We thank you for the wisdom of the weaver’s art, the glory of the interplay of thread and cord. May we be woven together with cords of love and trust as we weave the vision of our lives."

Gathering the flowers to her face, another woman says,

"Blessed are you, Mother God, for the fertility of this world. We thank you for the sight and scent of flowers, for the way their shape evokes in us the unfolding of our own sexuality, and for their power to remind us of the glory and the impermanence of physical beauty. May our days of blossoming and of fading be days spent in your presence."

Dipping her fingers into the bowl of salt water, one of the women says,

"Sisters, this is the water of life. From the womb of the sea, Mother Earth brought forth life. From the womb waters of our own bodies our children are born. In the womb shaped fonts of our churches, we are baptized into community. This is the water of life." Touching the water again, she continues. "This, too, is the water of our tears. Our power to weep is an expression of God’s love in and through us. We weep in sorrow for that which we have lost. We weep in anger for the pain of others. We weep in hope of healing and wholeness, and we weep in joy when our hearts are too full to contain our feelings."

Dipping her fingers in the water, each traces a tear on the cheek of the woman beside her saying,

"Remember, sister, tears are the water of life."

The chalice of sweet red wine is raised and a woman says,

"Blessed are you, Mother God, for you have given us the fruit of the earth. Red as blood, warm as life itself, sweet and intoxicating as love. We thank you for wine. We bless you for the power of this drink to remind us of our own power. We praise you for the strength and beauty of our bodies, and for the menstrual blood of womanhood. We embrace the mystery of life which you have entrusted to us, and we pray for the day when human blood is no longer shed and when woman’s blood is honored as holy and in your image."

Vox Wrote:I'm all about eradicating the ridiculous and sad shame or just plain old embarrassment involved with menstruation, and am rather ticked by any approach toward it that sees it as "dirty," but -- really, these women are so obsessed with their genitals and bodily functions that it's weird! Not having shame and silly coyness about it all=great; but seeing menstrual blood as "holy" and in the image of God -- well, here, I guess they mean some demon posing as a goddess=just plain strange.

The cup is passed hand to hand and all drink from it.

The cup of milk and honey is raised and a woman says,

"Thank you, Mother, for the abundance of life. Thank you for the rich, full, pleasing, and life giving milk of our bodies. Thank you for the children who drink from our breasts for they bring sweetness to our lives. We drink this cup as your daughters, fed from your own bosom. May we be proud of our nurturing and sustaining selves. May we honor our breasts as symbols of your abundance. Thank you for the milk and honey of your presence with us."

The cup is passed and shared by all.

The plate of raisin cakes is raised and a woman says,

"Mother God, our ancient sisters called you Queen of Heaven and baked these cakes in your honor in defiance of their brothers and husbands who would not see your feminine face. We offer you these cakes, made with our own hands; filled with the grain of life -- scattered and gathered into one loaf, then broken and shared among many. We offer these cakes and enjoy them too. They are rich with the sweetness of fruit, fertile with the ripeness of grain, sweetened with the power of love. May we also be signs of your love and abundance."

The plate is passed and each woman takes and eats a cake.

Vox Wrote:What makes this bit especially egregious is that the reference to cakes offered to the "queen of heaven" (NOT Our Lady) refers to the idolatry described in Jeremias (see http://drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=28&ch=44&l=19#x )  This couldn't be more obviously in-your-face Idolatry with a capital "I." And this liturgy was written by a couple of Episcopalian "priests" -- a husband-wife team o' "priests. Who also happen to be Druids. Wow.  And the cakes are RAISIN cakes, which Osee (Hosea) 3 makes clear were the food traditionally offered to idols (husks of grapes in the Douay. Check out other translations of all that).

When all have eaten, they say together:

"We thank you, Mother, for revealing yourself to us in the mystery of our womanhood. We thank you for the water of life in which we swam in the womb and which gives us the power to weep. We thank you for the blood of life which flows in and from our bodies and which makes us creators in your image as we give birth to new life. We thank you for the milk and honey of life which we receive from our mothers and which we give to our own children. And we thank you for the rich, sweet, and savory taste of life found in the grain of the earth and the fruit of the vine -- the gifts of your body shared with us. May we cherish it and ourselves always, and may we live in your peace."

They also have special liturgies concerning HIV-AIDS and Breast Cancer -- the only two diseases that exist, of course.

Anyone else have any liturgical, religious, ritual weirdisms from the Womyn types? I find it all so pathetic, so wrong, but also so strangely fascinating.

Why use the feminine when referring to the Holy Spirit?  Does it imply the Most Holy Trinity is composed by two gentlemen and one lady?
I loved reading this stuff, it's just too bizarre to make up! the crazy thing is that a lot of these womyn that make this stuff up have Phd's in "theology" from Ivy Leagues or "Catholic" universities. Honestly even Gardenerian Wicca is deeper and more reverent than this commitee created garbage but it's entertaining to read. As for Sophia thing, just read some from the modernist "Parisan Orthodox" school, men like Sergius Bulgakov.
Shouldn't this be on the Other Religions board?
This reminds of a book we found at a Jesuit Retreat Centre, where the book in question had a rite for the exorcism of patriarchical text in the Bible and a marriage rite for lesbians.  Needless to say, we removed it and placed someplace where only God would know lest someone would become corrupted by it.
this crazy stuff reminds me of my pagan "Spiraldance" days....seriously, I took part in pagan gatherings like these.  creepy.

are these ladies  still considered in union with Rome? 
I always wonder why these "Womyn" priests don't just get ordained in the Episcopal church?  sounds like they'd fit in to a T.

But no, they want to make the Catholic church change and they do this to annoy us.
(01-01-2014, 05:27 PM)mamalove Wrote: [ -> ]this crazy stuff reminds me of my pagan "Spiraldance" days....seriously, I took part in pagan gatherings like these.  creepy.

Well while they're "Catholics" by virtue of Baptism, I believe they are excommunicated.

(01-02-2014, 03:37 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]I always wonder why these "Womyn" priests don't just get ordained in the Episcopal church?

That's a very good question, I mean, just by their actions I find it hard to believe that they think the Catholic Church is the true Church founded by Christ, surely the Episcopalians would be jsut as good to them, wouldn't it? On the other hand, maybe they do believe the Catholic Church is the One True Church, which in that case, I can't imagine the type of bizarro cognitive dissonance going on in their minds...

Very strange...

There is one of those Womynpriest Churches here in my neck of the woods, maybe I'll pay a visit and probe the mind of the "priestess" and see how she reconciles here beliefs.
(01-02-2014, 02:26 PM)Juanthetuba Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2014, 05:27 PM)mamalove Wrote: [ -> ]this crazy stuff reminds me of my pagan "Spiraldance" days....seriously, I took part in pagan gatherings like these.  creepy.

Well while they're "Catholics" by virtue of Baptism, I believe they are excommunicated.

(01-02-2014, 03:37 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]I always wonder why these "Womyn" priests don't just get ordained in the Episcopal church?

That's a very good question, I mean, just by their actions I find it hard to believe that they think the Catholic Church is the true Church founded by Christ, surely the Episcopalians would be jsut as good to them, wouldn't it? On the other hand, maybe they do believe the Catholic Church is the One True Church, which in that case, I can't imagine the type of bizarro cognitive dissonance going on in their minds...

Very strange...

There is one of those Womynpriest Churches here in my neck of the woods, maybe I'll pay a visit and probe the mind of the "priestess" and see how she reconciles here beliefs.

Could it be that the Catholic Church is the true Church, and that they don't want to waste time destroying false churches when they could work on the real deal?
Yes, of course, that's a very real and plausible reason. 
Pages: 1 2