FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Prayers for Fisheaters for 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here in Northern Missouri a blanket of snow (trite but an apt descirption) & weather so cold it's dangerous, there is a peace which  must be something like the first snowfall ever. No one can go anywhere, so the highway near here is silent, & the snow on our place is untrampled & undisturbed  Our Labrador Retriever usually makes his last rounds about 11PM., travels most of the 13 acres "barking the wild life into the timber". However, tonight it is SO cold that he just stood on the back deck,  barked really loudly in all directions & came back in the house, his black coat sprinkled with snow.

It is a night made for meditation & prayers of thanks for the health & stability I find in my children & Grandchildren, for the fact that my Brother who spent two full years in the Veteran's Hospital is alive & fairly well, ensconced in an apartment with the whole west side filled with windows & sunlight. He has a balcony, too, which is wonderful. For two years, he make the trip back & forth from the VA hospital to KU Med Center & seldom saw the sunshine or felt the fresh air. (St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless causes is responsible  for saving his life. His 32 year old son died from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma this past summer.

I've never made New Year's resolutions before, but here goes:

I'm going to spend this week praying for everyone on Fisheaters. Some of you......I know by screen names: Vox, of course, Jayne, Tim, Poche & on & on. Others I'll just have to call "my friends on Fisheaters", but I'll be praying for whatever your needs are. After all, God knows. Some of you are working hard for a college degree, others are looking  for a job. Still others have health problems, etc. etc.

I'm going to spend more time just relaxing outside. Plant a smaller flower garden so I don't have to work on it every day & just enjoy it.

I'm going to ease up on the house work & read more books.

I'm going to spend more time with a step-Granddaughter who needs some love right now.....plus another Granddaughter. They are close in age & will be good for each other. Also, time spent with children refreshes the soul. Plus, I'm the President of my Garden Club this year, so it will be a challenge to take all of this extra time for relaxing, but by writing it down here, I can check myself once in a while.  Smile

Spend more time with my husband just talking about GOOD things. It seems as if we tend to talk about the fact that ------------the upstairs bedroom needs painting, the driveway needs a load of gravel, etc., etc. We have 52 years of pretty good memories. This year I'd like to spend more time talking about them & about our future. And, yes, at 72 we still have a future. Our good friend, Larry, is our age & just planted a grove of Pecan trees.........50 of them...........& he fully expects to be here when they start to produce!!

Bless all of you this New Year.

Nice post, JoniCath! Thanks for the prayers for all us Fishies. I have a feeling that your prayers are pretty "efficacious" Smile

I pray 2014 is everything you want it to be. And more. I pray this for everyone here.  Cent'anni!

Joni, it's similar here in Chicago. We're heading for below zero temps, and today is lake effect snow after snow the last days. I can't see out the window which faces the street, but from the windows in my little office I can see the accumulation on the garages and in the alley.  The Public school and Catholic school kids are all off, so it's silent this am. I'm late this morning so Lauds will be after the streaming Mass, but all is still, and I can feel the peace. It reminds me of long ago delivering the morning papers from the push cart in the snow and silence at 3:00 am as a kid. I'd bet all the gangstas are at home asleep this morning here in Chi-raq.

tim
(01-02-2014, 09:22 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Joni, it's similar here in Chicago. We're heading for below zero temps, and today is lake effect snow after snow the last days. I can't see out the window which faces the street, but from the windows in my little office I can see the accumulation on the garages and in the alley.  The Public school and Catholic school kids are all off, so it's silent this am. I'm late this morning so Lauds will be after the streaming Mass, but all is still, and I can feel the peace. It reminds me of long ago delivering the morning papers from the push cart in the snow and silence at 3:00 am as a kid. I'd bet all the gangstas are at home asleep this morning here in Chi-raq.

tim
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It reminds me of getting up at 3AM. to go with my Father to the Bakery. During school holidays my Mother got to stay home & work there & I took her place at the Bakery. . Anyway, I, too remember the white silence of an early morning snow, the extreme cold & the most wonderful warmth as the big ovens began to heat that  barn of a place.  Snowflake. The biggest oven when I was still working there was 12 ft. long, about 4-5 feet deep & the baking shelves rotated. I knew that I could not dare open the long, long door, as it took quite a while to heat the shelves & letting cold air in the meantime was a strict no-no. HOWEVER,. when Dad opened the door & we started loading the oven, you could find me standing as close to the heat as possible. Only then did one begin to warm up.

Having been to Chicago several times in the spring, summer & fall........I have to ask, does the wind still blow when it's extremely cold?. It doesn't  here, when it gets down to around zero, the wind stops & there is beautiful (but dangerous) stillness.

It seems that every day, I hear of another murder in Chicago. Just want you to know that I pray for you, often. To think of the city that "built" the Northeastern Midwest is in such a state is really sad. Have you ever read "So Big" by Edna Ferber. It's a book about  the birth of Chicago during the days of the meat packing plants. The story takes place before the gangsters hit the city.
On the snow and wind we are the center of four climates here and we get them all. Yes we sometimes get the no wind after a snow which comes from the north, the kind which you can't make good snowballs, but other times it's a howler with that snow and it's like a blizzard.

Edna Ferber was required in sophomore year along with Upton Sinclair, and on very hot summer days when the wind came a certain way we could smell the death and muck of the Stock Yards all over Chicago.  In fact I remember horse drawn teamsters that brought ice to homes, and my house was a half mile from a stables on Clark Street.

When my pa didn't work on a Saturday because of no overtime he'd take one of the other kids to Schilli's Bakery and get all kinds of sweet rolls for b'fast. That was kid's heaven. They made a long one like a mini-coffee cake filled with custard. I loved 'em. There is next to nothing local anymore and people no longer walk, it's good my time is short. I don't like it at all.

tim