FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Anyway to opt out of Obamacare?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am supposed to go with my Mom later today to sign up for the insurance thing which supposely gives you options and such, but obviously I am hessitant in getting it, knowing the provisions and things that ObamaCare stands for.

My mom is telling me that if I don't get insurance I will get fined >sad It just seems really unethical to require someone to get insurance that supports things like contraception and even things like abortion.

Are there anyways we can avoid getting this insurance?
You can do a Christian health share.

You can also just not do it.

Contact your local chancery. After all, "we cannot and we will not comply with this immoral and unjust law"; surely the USCCB has thought out HOW to not do it rather than just say it and then sign their papers.
The fine is 250 dollars, which is likely less than a premium on the exchanges. The administration has also admitted that they have little legal authority to collect on the fines. If you're in your 20s, you probably don't need full health insurance. See if you can find a catastrophic plan, and if the IRS does try to fine you, a one 250 dollar fee is better than whatever monthly premium the exchanges will scam you for.

(Full disclosure, I am not a lawyer and this doesn't constitute legal advice.)

(You can never be too careful these days...)
The fine is progressive. http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-indi...andate.php

Justice Roberts, "Catholic", royally screwed the nation and in fact went outside his bounds in rewriting the argument of the government, vs ruling on the argument as presented.

I'm not paying, it's absolutely ridiculous.
(01-02-2014, 08:59 PM)seanipie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not paying, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Me neither! See you in the camps, comrade!  Cheers!
As big and as rich as the Catholic Church is, you would think that It would have it's own insurance company. For Catholics only.
(01-02-2014, 09:10 PM)frater Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2014, 08:59 PM)seanipie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not paying, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Me neither! See you in the camps, comrade!  Cheers!

Cheers! Pray
(01-02-2014, 03:41 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]I am supposed to go with my Mom later today to sign up for the insurance thing which supposely gives you options and such, but obviously I am hessitant in getting it, knowing the provisions and things that ObamaCare stands for.

My mom is telling me that if I don't get insurance I will get fined >sad It just seems really unethical to require someone to get insurance that supports things like contraception and even things like abortion.

Are there anyways we can avoid getting this insurance?

Yes, don't sign up for it........ Sticking tongue out at you

The only way for the government to collect the penalty is through withholding tax refunds. If you set up your withholdings so that they take out less and you owe money at the end of the year then you pay zero penalty.
(01-02-2014, 09:31 PM)JMartyr Wrote: [ -> ]As big and as rich as the Catholic Church is, you would think that It would have it's own insurance company. For Catholics only.

Back in 2001 - 2003 I was on the insurance sub committee of the diocesan Finance Council.  The Catholic Bishops in the U.S. do own their own property casualty insurance company, Catholic Mutual, which underwrites most church and school properties.  The bishops asked the Catholic Mutual staff to explore providing health insurance for church staff.  The largest single group of people without health insurance is not those who aren't insured through their work, but the spouses and children of those who receive insurance through work but can't afford the premium to include them on the plan.

We (the committee) were told that there were two main difficulties:

1.  The insurance market then (and still largely now) is regulated by each individual state.  While "standards" are fairly consistent between states for property insurance, and auto insurance usually, they can varey considerable for health insurance and life insurance.  With health insurance how "basic care" is defined and how pre existing conditions are handled are "all over the board".  It would have been extremely difficult to craft a single "Catholic" policy that could be provided in all states.  Then there would be the situation of putting together a network of providers who agree to a predefined reimbursement schedule.  This is what all insurance companies do, it is how they control costs.  It is my understanding (I don't work in the insurance industry) that some large existing companies sometimes ask doctors to work exclusively with them, or otherwise make it difficult for new insurance companies to access their existing network of providers.  Likewise provison would have to be made for hospitization in areas without a Catholic hospital.  With the Affordable Health Care and Patient Protection Act in place, which dealt with pre existing conditions nation wide (i.e., one can't be denied coverage because of a pre existing conditon; one can't have their policy cancelled because they used it for health care for a particular condition), it might now be more feasible for Catholic Mutual to develop a "Catholic policy", but this will take time; it's a complex business.

2.  After 9/11 the reinsurance market went crazy (and the large storms with massive property damage in recent years hasn't been helping).  Reinsurance is insurance that insurance companies buy to insure that they have adequate cash available if claims exceed premium income in a given period of time.  A new insurance company just capitalizing would be heavily reliant on the reinsurance market.  With those premiums soaring it was proving difficult to come out with a product at a competitive price.  A few Terri Schiavo's could bankrupt the system quickly.
Pages: 1 2