FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Stuck being a tepid soul
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am experiencing a lukewarmness and feel so tepid in my faith. I go to Mass every Sunday
and usually a daily Mass every other week, and confession at least once a month. I have been neglectful of the rosary and sometimes daily prayer. I feel like I'm just going through the motions and fulfilling my obligation but
nothing more. I want to become holy and I don't know how to get out of this
rut I am in. What can I do? Your advice is appreciated!
Have you tried a religious retreat?
God appreciates going through the motions, I think.  Real love is submitting in the little things... helping out your spouse/family member even if you're annoyed with them, going to work when you don't feel like it, and praying when you don't feel internally motivated to pray.  All these things please God very much.

I used to go to some young adult groups which prized the "spiritual highs" of charismatic prayer over everything else.  If you really felt God's love you were "on fire" and that was a good thing.  I think God appreciates it much more when you make daily disciplined efforts to keep a small flame alive than being "on fire" though.

Just keep doing what you're doing.  Receiving the Sacraments more often is always a help..
Is it more an act of true love that a wife does something for her husband when she's all gushy and emotional in a positive manner, or when she's worn out, kinda mad about something, and is just preferring to take a bath and say forget it?

The answer is the latter, for true love is ultimately sacrificial. It involves motions, not emotions.

Emotion is good but it's just an impetus or a short grace.

Keep on truckin'. Smile
(01-03-2014, 08:16 PM)rosie024 Wrote: [ -> ]I am experiencing a lukewarmness and feel so tepid in my faith. I go to Mass every Sunday
and usually a daily Mass every other week, and confession at least once a month. I have been neglectful of the rosary and sometimes daily prayer. I feel like I'm just going through the motions and fulfilling my obligation but
nothing more. I want to become holy and I don't know how to get out of this
rut I am in. What can I do? Your advice is appreciated!
Sometimes God will remove His consolations so that you feel like you are in a "rut." Keep up the routine of ging to mass regularly and try to keep up the daily prayer. It is not the consolations of God that make us holy it is our cooperation to His will in our daily lives.
What about going to to mass during the week more often if possible? Or asking your priest, in or out of the confessional?
Totally normal in the spiritual life!  Do not be discouraged and do not allow yourself to backslide.  Have you made a consecration to Our Lady? She will help you.  Do you pray the rosary every day?  That will help. Do not give up!

I also know this dryness and darkness of the spirit.  Saints wrote of it especially St. John of the Cross.  If you read about the 3 Ways of the Spiritual Life you will see this is part of the journey.  God will let little rays of light in from time to time but mostly it is dark and this is where we must trust that God is working in our soul.

Even this morning after some hours at nocturnal adoration, I said to the Lord:  Lord I am dry and have no words: all I can offer is my presence to You with my love.
(01-04-2014, 01:24 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]Even this morning after some hours at nocturnal adoration, I said to the Lord:  Lord I am dry and have no words: all I can offer is my presence to You with my love.

Sometimes that is the best way to show someone your love...just simply being faithful and consistent.

I was spending a few hours a week at this lame-ass "adult medical day care" program.  It's cheap community sponsored medical care for me and it gives my family a break.  I'm thankfully not the only one with all their marbles (or most of them) and under 60 but a good bit of them are senior citizens who are either nonverbal or suffering from dementia, and a few of them live there.  I am always impressed by the families of some of these seniors who come to visit their loved one regardless of whether they talk or not, or whether they even recognize them.  Their presence is always felt, even if no exchange of words happens.  Even if you are so out of it that you don't recognize the person in front of you, your heart can still recognize the consistent warmth of another human being.  I think relating to God is sometimes like this.  He sees our persistence and love during the moments where it is the hardest to be with Him.
Yes like someone said, dark night of the soul.

Waiting for God by Simone Weil and the essay in ther about affliction.

I think there's a high degree in love when praying and entering into action when there is total emptiness there.
I think for a genuine faith life it's almost necessary. We can't only pray for the fruit of prayer.
On the cross Christ said "My God, why have you forsaken me."
It's truly a blessing to suffer sometimes.