FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "young woman" translation in ALL cath. Bibles since 1965
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Much more lengthy than usual for my posts, sorry]
----------------------

So, I'm moving across the country and I want a compact Catholic Bible to read on the trip
(and keep anyway).

I recently got mad at my (Full Size) NAB Bible because the Isaiah 7:14 prophecy has
"young woman" instead of "virgin" will conceive and bear a son and name him Emmanuel, etc.

The commentary of my NAB basically says that their Hebrew source "does not exactly mean
'virgin' but 'young woman'" and that the traditional and original source for OT prophecy,
the Septuagint, was the cause of the former, traditional word "virgin".

Yet the authors convict themselves IMO by leaving "virgin" in the Matthew Gospel passage which
quotes this Prophecy about the Nativity of Jesus.

I consequently visited the Jews For Jesus website http://www.jewsforjesus.org/
(after indignantly scratching out "young woman" and writing "virgin" in my Bible) and researched
their perceptions and explanations of the matter; they are "modern" Jews who believe in Jesus,
so I figure they are a good source to consult on this issue, knowing (myself) that  the Apostle
Matthew had it right.

They (Jews for Jesus) conclude that the Septuagint, which references the Hebrew Scriptures
as they were shortly before the Birth of Christ, clearly uses the word "virgin" in the Isaiah 7:14
reference, and they further state that any similar words (even in 'modern' Hebrew translations)
clearly point to the meaning "virgin".

So, it seems to me that the authors of the NAB, in claiming that they decided to use Hebrew
sources exclusively for the OT, are relying upon poor (at best) and probably hostile Jewish
sources for their "young woman" and "not exactly virgin" translation.  Another issue in the NAB
is their use of small "h" in "holy Spirit", which someone on FE here mentioned recently.
---------------

In any case, I went to a couple of Book stores today, one was Christian while the other was
mainstream but sold lots of Bibles.  I noticed that the Christian bookstore only had NAB
Bibles in its Catholic section, so I left.  The mainstream bookstore, "Books a Million", had several
Catholic versions, all dated 1965 or later.

ALL the Catholic Bible translations have "young woman" in the Isaiah Book, which left me
with only Protestant Bibles to choose from, which correctly use "virgin" but exclude the
Deuterocanonical Books, some among my favorites like "Judith", "Macabees I & II",
"Tobit", etc.

In frustration, I left the bookstore pursuit and decided to order a traditional Douay Reims
(spelling?) Catholic Bible online once I have moved.

---------------

Does anyone know if any Douay Reims versions are "compact" (small), or perhaps any
other traditional Catholic Bibles that may be compact?
(01-03-2014, 09:11 PM)bsroufek Wrote: [ -> ][Much more lengthy than usual for my posts, sorry]
----------------------

So, I'm moving across the country and I want a compact Catholic Bible to read on the trip
(and keep anyway).

I recently got mad at my (Full Size) NAB Bible because the Isaiah 7:14 prophecy has
"young woman" instead of "virgin" will conceive and bear a son and name him Emmanuel, etc.

The commentary of my NAB basically says that their Hebrew source "does not exactly mean
'virgin' but 'young woman'" and that the traditional and original source for OT prophecy,

Yet the authors convict themselves IMO by leaving "virgin" in the Matthew Gospel passage which

(after indignantly scratching out "young woman" and writing "virgin" in my Bible) and researched
their perceptions and explanations of the matter; they are "modern" Jews who believe in Jesus,
so I figure they are a good source to consult on this issue, knowing (myself) that  the Apostle
Matthew had it right.

They (Jews for Jesus) conclude that the Septuagint, which references the Hebrew Scriptures
as they were shortly before the Birth of Christ, clearly uses the word "virgin" in the Isaiah 7:14
reference, and they further state that any similar words (even in 'modern' Hebrew translations)

So, it seems to me that the authors of the NAB, in claiming that they decided to use Hebrew
sources exclusively for the OT, are relying upon poor (at best) and probably hostile Jewish
sources for their "young woman" and "not exactly virgin" translation.  Another issue in the NAB
is their use of small "h" in "holy Spirit", which someone on FE here mentioned recently.
---------------

In any case, I went to a couple of Book stores today, one was Christian while the other was
mainstream but sold lots of Bibles.  I noticed that the Christian bookstore only had NAB
Bibles in its Catholic section, so I left.  The mainstream bookstore, "Books a Million", had several

ALL the Catholic Bible translations have "young woman" in the Isaiah Book, which left me
with only Protestant Bibles to choose from, which correctly use "virgin" but exclude the
Deuterocanonical Books, some among my favorites like "Judith", "Macabees I & II",
"Tobit", etc.

In frustration, I left the bookstore pursuit and decided to order a traditional Douay Reims

---------------

Does anyone know if any Douay Reims versions are "compact" (small), or perhaps any
You could try your luck with Baronius Press. They sell a smaller sized Douay-Rheims. However, it is about $45 plus shipping. But it is leather bound, so it is durable (assuming it's the same quality as their editions of Divine Intimacy and the Imitation of Christ).
Jews for Jesus = Protestantism wrapped in a Jewish package.
(01-03-2014, 11:33 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]You could try your luck with Baronius Press. They sell a smaller sized Douay-Rheims. However, it is about $45 plus shipping. But it is leather bound, so it is durable (assuming it's the same quality as their editions of Divine Intimacy and the Imitation of Christ).

bsroufek: I'll sell you mine for $25 and shipping. I can't read it anymore, since the print is so small. It's white, so it's got some smudges on the front cover; and part of the family registry is filled in in pencil. But it comes with an 8-ribbon bookmark. Pages are in good condition and binding is tight.
(01-03-2014, 11:33 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2014, 09:11 PM)bsroufek Wrote: [ -> ][Much more lengthy than usual for my posts, sorry]
----------------------

(and keep anyway).

Matthew had it right.

---------------

"Tobit", etc.

---------------

You could try your luck with Baronius Press. They sell a smaller sized Douay-Rheims. However, it is about $45 plus shipping. But it is leather bound, so it is durable (assuming it's the same quality as their editions of Divine Intimacy and the Imitation of Christ).

Thank you!  Saves me much hunting for what you precisely describe, and which I want.
(01-04-2014, 05:41 AM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2014, 11:33 PM)tradne4163 Wrote: [ -> ]You could try your luck with Baronius Press. They sell a smaller sized Douay-Rheims. However, it is about $45 plus shipping. But it is leather bound, so it is durable (assuming it's the same quality as their editions of Divine Intimacy and the Imitation of Christ).

bsroufek: I'll sell you mine for $25 and shipping. I can't read it anymore, since the print is so small. It's white, so it's got some smudges on the front cover; and part of the family registry is filled in in pencil. But it comes with an 8-ribbon bookmark. Pages are in good condition and binding is tight.

Sounds great!  I'm in the process of moving across the country (from Florida to California),
but you could use my son's address (in Cal), which I'll PM you.

First, we'll need to agree on how to pay you, so perhaps you can PM me on that too.
I'm wiling to PayPal or mail cash or whatever.