FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Elusive Biblical Blue Found in Israel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Looks like a very different shade of blue than than used on the Israeli flag, etc. From scientificcomputing.com:

[Image: biblicalblue.jpg]

Elusive Biblical Blue Found in Israel
Thu, 01/02/2014 - 10:30am

An Israeli researcher says she has identified a nearly 2,000-year old textile that may contain a mysterious blue dye described in the Bible, one of the few remnants of the ancient color ever found.

Naama Sukenik of Israel's Antiquities Authority said Tuesday that recent examination of a small woolen textile discovered in the 1950s found that the textile was colored with a dye from the Murex trunculus, a snail researchers believe was the source of the Biblical blue.

Researchers and rabbis have long searched for the enigmatic color, called tekhelet in Hebrew. The Bible commands Jews to wear a blue fringe on their garments, but the dye was lost in antiquity.

Sukenik examined the textile for a doctorate at Bar-Ilan University and published the finding at a Jerusalem conference Monday.

Looks blue to me. How should it look when fresh, is the question.

How fascinating! I wonder if blue was as difficult to make as purple?
(01-04-2014, 05:27 AM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]How fascinating! I wonder if blue was as difficult to make as purple?
Blue dye, namely indigo, was a luxury product imported into Europe from India since Greek and Roman times.