FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Marriage Validity Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Say there is someone who was baptised Catholic but never went any further as far as sacraments are concerned in the Church. They are deciding to be married in a Methodist  "church" .Not sure about the other person's faith.
Is this marrige valid or not?
I don't believe so, as they need to receive dispensation. Their baptism makes them subject to the Church on this matter. If they received said dispensation, it would be be considered valid by the Church until otherwise determined. Lacking this dispensation is lacking canonical form and is invalid.

http://old.usccb.org/laity/marriage/marriagefaqs.shtml

#'s 4, 5, and 6.
(01-04-2014, 03:51 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: [ -> ]I don't believe so, as they need to receive dispensation. Their baptism makes them subject to the Church on this matter. If they received said dispensation, it would be be considered valid by the Church until otherwise determined. Lacking this dispensation is lacking canonical form and is invalid.

#'s 4, 5, and 6.
Thank you. I think at one time Rome actually gave permission for those who renounced their Faith to marry outside the Church, but Benedict XVI changed this.
Boy, #8 is real nice.  Eye-roll
I have a cousin who is a baptized Catholic but was not ALLOWED to be married in the Church. Both she and her husband are not Confirmed. One of the spouses have to be a confirmed Catholic to be married in a Catholic Church. So, if she isn't confirmed, but her soon to be husband is, then yes she should marry inside. But, if her soon to be spouse isn't confirmed either, then I'm not sure if she will be allowed to marry in the Church.

Hope this helps.
(01-04-2014, 03:51 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: [ -> ]I don't believe so, as they need to receive dispensation. Their baptism makes them subject to the Church on this matter. If they received said dispensation, it would be be considered valid by the Church until otherwise determined. Lacking this dispensation is lacking canonical form and is invalid.

#'s 4, 5, and 6.
what about this?
http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/i...arry-outsi
(01-04-2014, 04:11 PM)Rosa Mystica Wrote: [ -> ]I have a cousin who is a baptized Catholic but was not ALLOWED to be married in the Church. Both she and her husband are not Confirmed. One of the spouses have to be a confirmed Catholic to be married in a Catholic Church.

So why didn't the pastor just arrange to get them both confirmed before the wedding? 
Here's the change Pope Benedict made. I think it says from 1983 to the date of the moto proprio, Catholics who formally defected from the Faith could get married validly outside the Church, but not now. Am I reading this right?

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedi...ci_en.html
(01-04-2014, 03:39 PM)JMartyr Wrote: [ -> ]Say there is someone who was baptised Catholic but never went any further as far as sacraments are concerned in the Church. They are deciding to be married in a Methodist  "church" .Not sure about the other person's faith.

The correct answer --  Not Valid -- was already given, but there is one potential catch.

From 1983 to 2009 there was an exception in Canon Law which allowed those who "left the Church by a formal act" to no longer be bound to the canonical form of marriage. Thus they could potentially marry validly outside of the Church.

Since there was no clear standard as to what a "formal act" meant, and various interpretations which confused validity, Pope Benedict removed this exception from Canon Law in 2009.

However, during those 26 years, it was possible for a Baptized Catholic to marry outside of the Church if they had formally left the Church. If one were to join a false religion or heretical sect, then that probably meant formally leaving the Church, but only a tribunal could say for certain.

Edited to add:  Dang, I really need to read everything before I post. Sorry, JMartyr!
(01-04-2014, 05:43 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2014, 03:39 PM)JMartyr Wrote: [ -> ]Say there is someone who was baptised Catholic but never went any further as far as sacraments are concerned in the Church. They are deciding to be married in a Methodist  "church" .Not sure about the other person's faith.

The correct answer --  Not Valid -- was already given, but there is one potential catch.

From 1983 to 2009 there was an exception in Canon Law which allowed those who "left the Church by a formal act" to no longer be bound to the canonical form of marriage. Thus they could potentially marry validly outside of the Church.

Since there was no clear standard as to what a "formal act" meant, and various interpretations which confused validity, Pope Benedict removed this exception from Canon Law in 2009.

However, during those 26 years, it was possible for a Baptized Catholic to marry outside of the Church if they had formally left the Church. If one were to join a false religion or heretical sect, then that probably meant formally leaving the Church, but only a tribunal could say for certain.

Edited to add:  Dang, I really need to read everything before I post. Sorry, JMartyr!
That's ok. I was looking for confirmation on whether I was reading the motu proprio right.