FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: TLM getting cancelled a lot lately
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I go to a diocesan TLM which has been celebrated every Sunday in the parish chapel since SP was promulgated. That is until recently. In June the diocese transferred 2 of the associate pastors and we only got one to replace them. Also one of the retired priests who would help with Masses here  and knew how to celebrate the TLM is too sick to come out here now. We also had a younger visiting priest (the high school chaplain) who knew the TLM and regularly celebrated Mass here, but I haven't seen him in months. The only priest who is left to celebrate is the pastor with an occasional visiting priest if he can get one. Unfortunately, due to the shortage in priests, the TLM is the Mass that gets cancelled. They have 5 Novus Ordo Masses every Sunday, but this being a regular diocesan parish, they take precedence over the TLM. Tomorrow the TLM is cancelled again and I will be going to the nearest Ukrainian Catholic parish for Divine Liturgy. There have been times I have shown up to Mass and 15 minutes after the start of Mass the priest comes to announce there will be no TLM. I'm worried that eventually the TLM will be cancelled completely and am thinking of just going to the Ukrainian Catholic parish every Sunday for Divine Liturgy. What would others do in this situation? Thanks.
If enough people bail out of the TLM, it will become more likely that it will be canceled permanently
I would do the same as your doing.  Go to the UGCC. Smile
The TLM is even being cancelled at the once a month First Saturday liturgy at Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome after 14 years:

http://chiesaepostconcilio.blogspot.com/...-mese.html

This is in Italian but here is a google translate:

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Abolished on the first Saturday of the Month traditional Santa Maria Maggiore

Another news that fills us with painful regret like the previous one. Tell us yet another reversal without motivation.

From today , the first Saturday of the year, was stopped a habit of fourteen years: the celebration of the Holy Mass Antiquior , every first Saturday of the month in honor of the Virgin, at the Cesi Chapel in the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore.

The person responsible for abuse of power is the Archpriest of the Basilica , Cardinal Santos Abril y Castelló .

Despite the Summorum Pontificum is a primary source of law that relates to the universal Church.

Today it has become the norm will.

And in the Basilica dedicated to Our Lady , Salus Populi Romani , much frequented by the new pope , is abolished Mass in reparation for the offenses brought to her Immaculate Heart . Help of Christians , ora pro nobis !
It's troubling; there used to be a weekly TLM in Hamilton, NJ--now, it's gone. Sure, there are others, but much farther off, and when I move back to NJ this spring, I may be out of luck for a nearby TLM sad
(01-05-2014, 04:50 AM)bkovacs Wrote: [ -> ]I would do the same as your doing.  Go to the UGCC. Smile

I love the UGCC, but if everyone abandons the TLM to go there, the TLM will disappear on the basis that there is no demand for it.
The Church has always taught that [u]you're born into your rite[/u]. Unless you're a female getting married to a Ukrainian man, there is no reason for you to be going to a Uniate Church.

What in blazes is wrong with some non-Slavic Catholics? Liturgical Asperger's? Slavic people are xenophobic and will look at you like a weirdo if you go into their churches. Whether it be "conservative" Catholics looking for a "traditional" New Order Mass at the Polish parish or a traditionalist going to a Ukrainian Rite parish. Western-Catholic Slavophiles/Byzantophiles are the Catholic equivalent of San Francisco ex-protestants who "convert" to Hinduism or Buddhism and travel to India or South Korea to study under a guru. And don't get me started on the silly Latins who hang up desecrate Holy Icons like they're some stupid painting or photo on the wall.

Anyways there's only room for one rite in the Western Church, Paul VI said himself that the New Ordo was meant to replace the Old Ordo, he even compared what he was doing to what St. Pius V did, and he himself was the pope who promulgated the New Order of Roman Mass. It seems like everyone is willing to listen to arguments about the New Order Mass from everybody but the actual pope himself who promulgated the new and abjured the old.

Quote:And what is even more serious, in particular, when introducing the division, in the Liturgy and the Eucharistic Sacrifice, by refusing obedience to the rules defined in the liturgical field. It is in the name of tradition that we ask all our children, all the Catholic communities, to celebrate with dignity and fervor the renewed Liturgy. The adoption of the new "Ordo Missae " is not left to the arbitrary some of the priests or the faithful: and the Education of 14 June 1971 provided for the celebration of Mass in the ancient form, with the permission of the ordinary, just for elderly or infirm priests, who offer the Divine Sacrifice sine populo . The new Ordo was promulgated because it would replace the old, after mature deliberation, following instances of Vatican II. Not unlike our holy predecessor Pius V had made ​​obligatory the Missal reformed under his authority, following the Council of Trent .

CONCISTORO SEGRETO DEL SANTO PADRE PAOLO VI PER LA NOMINA DI VENTI CARDINALI May 24, 1976

Pope Francis is a scientist so he thinks like a scientist. You can't have two rites in the Roman rite. The only logical conclusion is to slowly remove the old, slowly because you can't risk a schism or flocks of priests/laity going to the FSSPX.  All that being said I'm surprised at what speed and precision it's being done, it hasn't even been a year and massive strides have been made to create liturgical unity in the Church. All this "High Church" and "Low Church" sounds awfully like protestantism. I hope people can see the wisdom behind the Pope's actions.
(01-05-2014, 05:38 PM)Skarga Wrote: [ -> ]there is no reason for you to be going to a Uniate Church.

The word "uniate" is offensive to Eastern Rite Catholics.  And you know it.
Quote:Anyways there's only room for one rite in the Western Church, Paul VI said himself that the New Ordo was meant to replace the Old Ordo

And Pope Benedict XVI, as the supreme lawgiver, stated in Summorum Pontificum and his accompanying letter that there are two forms of the Roman Rite and that the Vetus Ordo was never abrogated.  You know that too, don't you?
Quote:Pope Francis is a scientist so he thinks like a scientist. You can't have two rites in the Roman rite.

Any scientist knows that God loves diversity.  Diversity equals strength in the world of nature and in the liturgical world.  There have been multiple rites in the Western Church for centuries.  Pope Pius V himself decreed that rites older than 200 years old at the time of the promulgation of the Tridentine Rite should be preserved.

In the past, you've been provocative in your posts, but you've made some intelligent points.  This one was merely provocative, which is why it stinks.

Go ahead and attend the Novus Ordo, Skarga, as I do now at my territorial parish.  You won't have a problem finding one. Don't come to a traditional Catholic forum with this kind of garbage.  It makes you look like an idiot.
(01-05-2014, 02:12 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]The TLM is even being cancelled at the once a month First Saturday liturgy at Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome after 14 years:

http://chiesaepostconcilio.blogspot.com/...-mese.html

This is in Italian but here is a google translate:

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Abolished on the first Saturday of the Month traditional Santa Maria Maggiore

Another news that fills us with painful regret like the previous one. Tell us yet another reversal without motivation.

From today , the first Saturday of the year, was stopped a habit of fourteen years: the celebration of the Holy Mass Antiquior , every first Saturday of the month in honor of the Virgin, at the Cesi Chapel in the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore.

The person responsible for abuse of power is the Archpriest of the Basilica , Cardinal Santos Abril y Castelló .

Despite the Summorum Pontificum is a primary source of law that relates to the universal Church.

Today it has become the norm will.

And in the Basilica dedicated to Our Lady , Salus Populi Romani , much frequented by the new pope , is abolished Mass in reparation for the offenses brought to her Immaculate Heart . Help of Christians , ora pro nobis !

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/01...years.html
The modernists have taken control of the asylum. Get ready for a return to the 70's. Kum ba yah y'all. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3