FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good book for my sister on a prayer life?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my sister is currently doing her confirmation and she is in the R.C.I.A process. She has recently been enthusiastic about her Catholic faith and is currently reading scripture and trying to learn the faith itself. I am trying to help her out as best as I can. Both of us come from a family that is mostly Catholic but at the same time we do have protestants within the Family. Our dad is a nondenominational Christian although we don't see him that much anymore. I also have several other people in my family which are also non-denominational. Several of the Catholics and many of the protestants in my family I would describe as Charismatic. Specifically within the protestants they do things like pray over you, yell, rock music and such.

Any ways my sister went on a retreat over the weekend which was part of the Jovenes Para Christo (Young adults for Christ) which I believe is pretty Charismatic. I have not gone to the retreat but my sister had just attended it over the weekend and she told me that it was mostly Charismatic. They did all the things that are common within charismatic groups, such as fainting, yelling, spiritual highs, etc. My sister said that she felt awkward as she is not used to it. I know what she means as I have also been to several places and groups that are charismatic and such.

For this reason I was wondering what book I could give my sister about traditional Catholic spirituality such as contemplation, prayer and such. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to give my sister a book of Saint John of the Cross, Saint Theresa of Avilla, The Seven Story Mountain, or something else. What do you guys recommend?
Give her something like Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales that is written for laypeople.  It is a good practical guide for starting up a discipline of prayer.

St. Theresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross' works were directed towards people living in a monastery... not to say it's not good to read these works for academic purposes but for someone just starting out it is probably not going to apply much. 
"The Way of Perfection" by St Theresa of Avila has a lot of practical advice. 
"The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis
Another vote for "Introduction to the Devout Life" by St. Francis de Sales.

"Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux" is good as well.
Good move to fill the void.  Stay far and away from the Charismatic movement.

That said, as Chestertonian has said, "Introduction to the Devout Life" is a good one to get into and introduce one to doing what the title says, living a devote life. 
  I would consider "The Imitation" maybe for 10 minutes of reading before bedtime as recommended by an old priest year ago, but one must adjust things to their particular life/situation.
"Story of a Soul" is a good way to get to know more about the Little Flower.
"The Way of Perfection" is, of course, good as well.
  It would be a lot to ask of anyone to read all of these at once.  Perhaps "The Introduction" for quieter times of the day, with the Little Flower for times when amongst people/duties(lunchbreak, etc). 
  This is something I have to  work on with my own loved ones as well.  Will keep her in the prayers.

Joe
Not sure if it's a prayer book but "The Spiritual Combat" by Scupoli should be on the short list too.
There is a good book by Eugene Boylan. Can't remember the name. Maybe "Mental Prayer". He also has a great one called "This Tremendous Lover" I think.
(02-04-2014, 03:40 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]"The Way of Perfection" by St Theresa of Avila has a lot of practical advice. 

This! Very practical and accessable.

Also, I like one called "The Ways of Mental Prayer" by Dom Lehody.
http://www.amazon.com/Mental-Prayer-Vita...im_sbs_b_1

It's also very practical, and compiled from advice from all the great saints who wrote about prayer. It comes with a glowing endorsement from Pope Pius X at the beginning.  Smile

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a few books, one is probably not so well known in trad circles--Opening to God by Father Thomas Green S.J. and The Way of a Pilgrim, perhaps followed by The Secret of the Rosary. They are all really simple to understand. Finally, please try to get something for her that gives her a simple yet profound grasp of the Real Presence. The Father Green one is really good and if she likes it he has others, all of them breaking down St Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross for modern readers.
Pages: 1 2