FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: If you don’t feel in need of God’s mercy don’t go to Mass, says Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(02-13-2014, 11:10 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I read the quote and I dont think he is saying what you think he is saying. I thought he was being sarcastic in his comment.

I am an incredibly sarcastic person, but there's a time and place for it.  Everything he says is dressed up in it, which is both unbecoming and prone to confusion given cultural idioms.
:LOL:  That made me laugh.  The Holy Father was definitely being sarcastic.

Though can you imagine if all the "I'm okay, you're okay, except for those horribly judgmental people who actually believe the Catholic faith" liberals just stayed home for good.  :grin:
(02-13-2014, 10:09 AM)Asperges me Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking at his general audience today, Pope Francis said: “Sometimes someone asks: ‘Why bother going to church, the people who always go to Mass are sinners like the others’. If you do not feel in need of God’s mercy, if you do not feel you are a sinner, then it’s better not go to Mass, because we go to Mass because we are sinners and we want to receive the forgiveness of Jesus, to participate in His redemption, His forgiveness."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/201...says-pope/

I wish he would shut up. It's a mortal sin to miss Mass without serious cause.  >:(

I'm sick of his pontificate already.

Get over your feelings. I think you need to read what he is saying more closely.
I guess I'll just have to wait for Jimmy Akin or Fr. Z to tell me what he really meant.
(02-13-2014, 10:09 AM)Asperges me Wrote: [ -> ]I wish he would shut up. It's a mortal sin to miss Mass without serious cause.  >:(

But if you don't believe you're a sinner in the first place, and you don't give a damn what the Church teaches already, you're not going to care about the precept of the Church that imposes Sunday obligation.

I know so many older Catholics, like in their 70's or 80's, who don't believe in Confession.  They sit in the pews, they put money in the basket and receive Holy Communion but they don't think they need confession because they're old.  My wife's older relatives are all this way.  I remember at a family gathering I mentioned going to confession and they all were saying "I've been a Catholic all my life, I don't need to go to confession."  "How much sin can I get into being this old? I'm too old to get into trouble."  "I don't think I have anything to confess."  They are not angels by any stretch of the imagination.  A lot of them also don't believe in the real presence, they're pro choice and they believe in gay marriage.  I ask them why they don't go to the Episcopal Church and they said that they go to the Catholic Church because they've been going for their whole lives and there aren't any Italians at the Episcopal Church.  It seems like theologically they are more in line with the Episcopal church but they still like a good Marian procession and St. Joseph's table.  It's more about being Italian than being Catholic.
"Chestertonian" Wrote:A lot of them also don't believe in the real presence, they're pro choice and they believe in gay marriage.
May we have some little off-topic here? Is it actually a sin to personally think that abortion should be legal? Is it a sin to vote for a person who is of the same opinion? Yes, no, depends?
I have some Catholic friends (you'd think it's not hard in Poland but actually I'd say more than a half of people I meet on a daily basis are non-believers) and most of them are much better than I when it comes to living according to the Church's teaching. But, unlike me, they usually think that in vitro fertilisation is ok, same-sex unions as well, etc., etc. I doubt they ever confess it and if they do then well, they don't change their view so such a confession is invalid. But I'm 99% sure they don't confess their political views that are opposed to Catholic teaching. Heck, nowadays not that many Catholics vote for parties that are acceptable from our point of view. So, what is it like? When do one's views about abortion/euthanasia/etc. become mortal sins?
(02-13-2014, 02:01 PM)Oatmeal Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I'll just have to wait for Jimmy Akin or Fr. Z to tell me what he really meant.

9 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE POPE'S LATEST REMARKS

i went to fr. z's first to see if this was a repost from there.
Speculation against the Pope, Pope Emeritus or any Cardinal(s) was unwarranted on my part, and I misquoted him, I apologize for any sins of Gossip, Detraction, Calumny, and/or Slander committed by this post, as well as any other sins committed, and any sins others fell or will fall into by reading it as a result.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.
I am so confused by the Argentine wonder he is like and elephant in a parade that needs  a man and A  broom with a barrel to clean up after him.
I know the type of person he's talking about. They avoid Mass because they don't take the teachings of the Church seriously, but at the same time they don't want to be "judged" by those "hypocrites" in the pews (a ridiculous idea that they project on other people because they feel a secret shame about themselves). The Pope's message is simple: Get over yourselves. It's an insult to Our Lord to go there without admitting your own need for His grace and to look down on those who do need His grace.

I don't think there's anything culturally nuanced about it except that he said in a joking way instead of my direct and mean way ;) I realize he's said much that is ambiguous and possibly inappropriate in the past year, but this time he is right on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4