FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: If you don’t feel in need of God’s mercy don’t go to Mass, says Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Speaking at his general audience today, Pope Francis said: “Sometimes someone asks: ‘Why bother going to church, the people who always go to Mass are sinners like the others’. If you do not feel in need of God’s mercy, if you do not feel you are a sinner, then it’s better not go to Mass, because we go to Mass because we are sinners and we want to receive the forgiveness of Jesus, to participate in His redemption, His forgiveness."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/201...says-pope/

I wish he would shut up. It's a mortal sin to miss Mass without serious cause.  >:(

I'm sick of his pontificate already.

You're kidding, aren't you?
I'd say if they don't understand that much about the Sacrifice of the Mass, they don't have Faith.

tim 
The most troubling thing about Pope Francis' most recent talks on the liturgy is he did nor speak in any appreciable way of the Real Presence of  our Lord in the Eucharist. Belief in the Real Presence and all that it means is specific to Catholics. That he would not build on that is troubling.
I've heard it said that giving all his ad hoc teachings in Italian are a stupid idea because his fluency is in Spanish. He also does not understand Roman idioms. While this is not an excuse, it's certainly interesting to think about the consequences. The man needs to speak his native language to be clear... but then again, perhaps he's using a language in whose command he is mediocre in order to speak abstractly and vaguely. He seems to like doing that, for ex. Evangelii Gaudium.

As for this particular speech, it's badly worded as usual. We all know what he means, but either his way of saying it or the translation are just terrible. He is referring to those with no belief in anything, and telling them not to go to Mass; after all, even the ancient pagans believed they had sin, and were in need of help.

(I was going to say "imagine the Jesuits of old being so imprecise!", but then I realized that they'd probably be even more casuistic.  :LOL: )
I read the quote and I dont think he is saying what you think he is saying. I thought he was being sarcastic in his comment.
(02-13-2014, 11:10 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I read the quote and I dont think he is saying what you think he is saying. I thought he was being sarcastic in his comment.

That's exactly what I read.
(02-13-2014, 11:10 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I read the quote and I dont think he is saying what you think he is saying. I thought he was being sarcastic in his comment.

Agreed. Although I don't read Papa like this always. I don't see anything but a digression to clarify not a statement to extort the benefits of keeping yourself from Mass. I think if you have some trouble with this you must be reading for a pre-conceived bias.

Of course I am not defending all of his statements in this way as some have certainly been questionable. But I don't see this one in this way.

Just my take anyway.
I see this as Papa being sarcastic, because WE ARE ALL SINNERS. However, given how lazy and stupid people are, some honestly will be like "Well I'm a "Good Catholic" so I don't need the Mass"

Either-way I think it's a potential faux pa with the best intentions Holy Father. Still I see damage coming from this, with people always looking for an excuse not to be Catholic, it can easily be taken as a "permission" from the Holy Father to avoid Mass...even though I sure hope everyone here agrees that is NOT what Papa was saying.

But still I don't forget I'm the bad guy who hates on Papa and enjoys reading an anti-Christ, crypto-sedevacantist; cause I made a critique awhile back.  :eyeroll:
Heorot you're on to something there. His family comes from Piedmont, and more than likely his parents spoke Piedmontese/Genovese a Ligurian language. Mussolini made Italian the national language. The Parish where I was baptized had mostly those Italians, and I know from hearing it ain't the same. Add all that to his native Spanish and it could be confusing.

tim
Pages: 1 2 3 4