FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Cardinal Wore Jeans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Cardinal Wore Jeans

Consistory trip goes "casual Friday."

Funny. The jeans don't necessarily indicate any sort of apostasy, though his cuddly manner with all the adoring fans is quite amusing for a Prince of the Church. A great number of cameras seem to miraculously follow these random acts of humility...
strange.  My wife and I used to pick priests up at the airport and take them to the rectory because we used to live close to a major international airport, and a few times priests have flown in without cassocks, the sort of priests you would not expect to see dressed casually.  I am guessing they wanted to just get from point A to point B without drawing attention to themselves.  Yet it is strange that the Cardinal would be out and about in public with cameras flashing dressed like that...
By their cassock their supposed to draw attention to themselves, how many souls have been saved because someone saw a priest on an airplane or somewhere else and spoke to them. I used to go to lunch occasionally with a well known FSSP priest , many times at Subway or other places due to his cassock he was pulled aside to hear a confession or a soul in trouble.
Fr. Cekada's thesis from "Work of Human Hands" is that many prelates during the 1960s made changes to doctrine and practice because Tradition was incompatible with the "mind of modern man". This phrase came up many times during the reforms of that wicked decade, and it was used as a justification for almost every abandonment of tradition. "Oh, the emphasis on sin, penance, punishment, and judgment is not in keeping with the mind of modern man"; ergo, delenda est. That was the justification for dropping much. Rank chronological snobbery.

I believe this same approach has been used when deciding whether to wear clerical garb. The prelates and priests simply think modern man would be "offended" or "scandalized" by those things, rather than be inspired or convicted of sin by seeing them. Such an explanation seems in keeping with the general zeitgeist of the hierarchy and seminary instruction since 1965. This is why we see "old granddad" priests walking about as if they're off to go fishing. I suppose people would just be sad if they saw a clerical collar.
(02-27-2014, 07:11 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]By their cassock their supposed to draw attention to themselves, how many souls have been saved because someone saw a priest on an airplane or somewhere else and spoke to them. I used to go to lunch occasionally with a well known FSSP priest , many times at Subway or other places due to his cassock he was pulled aside to hear a confession or a soul in trouble.

I'm  a big believer in the wearing of cassocks and habits. When I was an insane wild child and ran away once (yet again, ha), I found myself in a bus station in Kansas City somehow (I ran away from Indianapolis, and told myself I was on my way to Los Angeles, for God knows what reasons). There was a habited nun in the station, and I approached her to talk to her -- and solely because of her habit. Even when I was at the height of my teenaged angst/bipolar madness and was agnostic, I had a great attraction to the Church and wanted to believe. While I can't say that any great miracle came of that encounter, I know such a thing could have happened. I could have approached her, because of her habit, and she might have said just the right thing to make things "click" in my mind, thereby leading me to open my heart to Christ. If she'd been just another pantsuited woman, she wouldn't have stood out to me as someone who might have something to say about Christ and the Church, as someone who might be able to help me (and, trust me, I needed the help!)

If I were a religious, I'd like to think I'd wear my habit everyhwere and be really wide-open to being approached, to being able to act as a more obvious like a "light unto the world" that the habit (and cassock) are supposed to represent. God bless all the priests and religious who wear cassocks or habits, as the case may be.

The thread about homosexual trads and its bringing up the topic of folks called to celibacy and their role in the world make me want to say this:  a lay-person could do the same sort of thing by wearing, say, religious jewelry, carrying a Bible, etc., showing some sign that "A Christian is Here!"  We're ALL supposed to be here for each other, and witness to others, whether religious/ordained or not. I envision myself way back then at 16 or whatever age I was when I found myself in a Kansas City bus station, and imaging a Catholic lay-person spotting me and intuiting that I was obviously a person in trouble. Such a person could have approached me -- and potentially changed my life forever. While a cassock or habit makes the identity of certain Christians more obvious, we're all called to the same goals: to love God and to love our neighbors.