FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Catholic Church forbids circumcision for any reason!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Doesn't the Ethiopian Catholic Church practise circumcision as does the Orthodox counterpart?
(02-27-2014, 01:40 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I hope many expecting parents will take this to heart.  Circumcision is on the next tier below abortion of the violations of the right to life.

Err... seriously?
(02-27-2014, 02:35 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2014, 01:40 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]I hope many expecting parents will take this to heart.  Circumcision is on the next tier below abortion of the violations of the right to life.

Err... seriously?

Seriously  :)
(02-27-2014, 01:47 PM)frater Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard of this proscription before, is it binding on persons who had it done in their infancy, against their will?
Of course not
(02-27-2014, 02:02 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]I think the passage that the OP quoted is in reference to ritual circumcision. There have been Christians throughout history that has insisted that we needed to abide by the Old Covenant.
But he addresses himself to all Christians, not just those who observe the Old Law.

(02-27-2014, 02:02 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Modern circumcision is different. The history is different and the reasons are different (thank Mr. Kellogg for that one). Currently, the principal Catholic objection to circumcision is based on the principal of violating the rights of the person.
Yes, modern circumcision is definitely mutilation; it's far more extreme than how Jesus et al. were circumcised.

Some very interesting pages on circumcision:
http://www.fisheaters.com/circumcision.html
http://www.fisheaters.com/circumcision2.html

Apparently, modern medical circumcision follows the Pharisees' Talmud (Brit Peri'ah circumcision), whereas how Jesus was circumcised (Brit Milah) leaves the inner prepuce intact.
(02-27-2014, 02:43 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2014, 02:35 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote: [ -> ]

Err... seriously?

Seriously  :)

Wow... my wife and I had our son circumcised and I had no idea I was just below an abortionist on the scale of horribleness
The preceding sentences makes it pretty clear it is referring to those who have received the Gospel, but either place their hope in circumcision and the Mosaic Law for salvation, or those who, while not placing their hope in it for salvation, still practice it in that context.

I don't see how this applies to those who do it in good faith for medical reasons (whether it is actually medically beneficial is of course a matter of debate here).  

Quote:It firmly believes, professes and teaches that the legal prescriptions of the old Testament or the Mosaic law, which are divided into ceremonies, holy sacrifices and sacraments, because they were instituted to signify something in the future, although they were adequate for the divine cult of that age, once our lord Jesus Christ who was signified by them had come, came to an end and the sacraments of the new Testament had their beginning. Whoever, after the passion, places his hope in the legal prescriptions and submits himself to them as necessary for salvation and as if faith in Christ without them could not save, sins mortally. It does not deny that from Christ's passion until the promulgation of the gospel they could have been retained, provided they were in no way believed to be necessary for salvation. But it asserts that after the promulgation of the gospel they cannot be observed without loss of eternal salvation. Therefore it denounces all who after that time observe circumcision, the sabbath and other legal prescriptions as strangers to the faith of Christ and unable to share in eternal salvation, unless they recoil at some time from these errors. Therefore it strictly orders all who glory in the name of Christian, not to practise circumcision either before or after baptism, since whether or not they place their hope in it, it cannot possibly be observed without loss of eternal salvation.

(02-27-2014, 02:53 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]Wow... my wife and I had our son circumcised and I had no idea I was just below an abortionist on the scale of horribleness

Well, you wouldn't be culpable since you didn't know you were doing something wrong.  But what I mean is, on the level of human rights, obviously terminating life is going to be the worst offense.  The next grade down is mutilating the body.  Since circumcision is a bodily mutilation, it is a greater offense against human life than something that leaves the body intact.
(02-27-2014, 02:57 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]The preceding sentences makes it pretty clear it is referring to those who have received the Gospel, but either place their hope in circumcision and the Mosaic Law for salvation, or those who, while not placing their hope in it for salvation, still practice it in that context.

I don't see how this applies to those who do it in good faith for medical reasons (whether it is actually medically beneficial is of course a matter of debate here).  

It doesn't apply to those parents who ignorantly give it no thought because it is a cultural norm, or erroneously believe there is some medical benefit to it, which together likely account for the vast majority of parents who circumcise in this country.  Those who recognize it is indeed a mutilation, and understand the Church's teaching on mutilation, but do it anyway, I'd think they would fall under the anathema.
(02-27-2014, 02:57 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2014, 02:53 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]Wow... my wife and I had our son circumcised and I had no idea I was just below an abortionist on the scale of horribleness

Well, you wouldn't be culpable since you didn't know you were doing something wrong.  But what I mean is, on the level of human rights, obviously terminating life is going to be the worst offense.  The next grade down is mutilating the body.  Since circumcision is a bodily mutilation, it is a greater offense against human life than something that leaves the body intact.

I guess those of us with tattoos are in deep trouble.

Ritual circumcision is the the same as attending a Seder meal, since the Old Covenant is out, it's the tame as believing in pagan or occult practices.

Is the implication that uncircumcised men have more libido, ergo, circumcision = birth control  ???

Since this was done when I was a few hours old, I think I am off the hook.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11