FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mueller: ""Doctrine and pastoral care are the same thing."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the best sound bites I have heard in awhile : "Doctrine and pastoral care are the same thing. Jesus Christ as pastor and Jesus Christ as teacher with his word are not two different people,"

"Just because many Catholics do not understand the church's teaching about the indissolubility of marriage, that does not mean the church can change that teaching, said Cardinal Gerhard Muller, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

Speaking to reporters Feb. 25 -- just days after the College of Cardinals held a two-day meeting to discuss the pastoral care of families -- he said the widespread lack of understanding among Catholics about church doctrine was "lamentable."

However, just because people don't understand Jesus' word doesn't mean it can or should be changed, he said. "It would be paradoxical if the church said, 'Since not everyone knows the truth, the truth isn't obligatory for the future."

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories...400809.htm

C.
That's a relief to hear!
Whew. When I read the title, I was thinking it was going to go the other way... that doctrine should come in line with the needs of pastoral care.