FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop Michael F. Olson Bans the Traditional Latin Mass at Fisher More College
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Yea,

Rorate has a LONG write up on that along with a response from the Canon Law Society.  I don't think this thing will stand long.  It is a clear and direct violation of Summorum Pontificum,  My guess is the good Bishop is going to hear from Rome about this one.  The local pastors could also just ignore this order, as it has no legal weight, but that tends to get one sent to a remote hospital chapel until the good Bishop retires.

It will be up to the laity to storm Rome on this one.
(03-03-2014, 02:07 AM)moon1234 Wrote: [ -> ]Yea,

Rorate has a LONG write up on that along with a response from the Canon Law Society.  I don't think this thing will stand long.  It is a clear and direct violation of Summorum Pontificum,  My guess is the good Bishop is going to hear from Rome about this one.  The local pastors could also just ignore this order, as it has no legal weight, but that tends to get one sent to a remote hospital chapel until the good Bishop retires.

"Good Bishop"?  I don't think so.

Is there anything we can do about this? Does anyone "in the know" about such things have any idea if POLITE and RESPECTFUL letters to the Bishop might help -- maybe letters including the relevant parts of Summorum Pontificum?

ETA:  Nevermind the questions. We've got to act.  I've just tweeted about this and posted about it on FE's Facebook page. I say write to the Bishop. The document you'll need to refer to:  http://www.fisheaters.com/motuproprio.html

The Bishop's address:

The Most Reverend Michael Olson, Bishop of Forth Worth
    c/o The Catholic Center
    800 West Loop, 820 South
    Forth Worth, TX  76108-2919

Greet him in your letter as "Your Excellency."

Close with "Kissing the Sacred Ring."

Be respectful and polite, please!
(03-03-2014, 02:15 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2014, 02:07 AM)moon1234 Wrote: [ -> ]Yea,

"Good Bishop"?  I don't think so.

was meant to be sarcastic.  Guess I should have used quotes.
(03-03-2014, 02:22 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything we can do about this? Does anyone "in the know" about such things have any idea if POLITE and RESPECTFUL letters to the Bishop might help -- maybe letters including the relevant parts of Summorum Pontificum?

ETA:  Nevermind the questions. We've got to act.  I've just tweeted about this and posted about it on FE's Facebook page. I say write to the Bishop. The document you'll need to refer to:  http://www.fisheaters.com/motuproprio.html

The Bishop's address:

c/o The Catholic Center
     800 West Loop, 820 South

I think this will be an effort with no result.  Better to write to Rome and inform them of the Violation of universal law that the Bishop is carrying out in the name of the Church.  Kindly ask them to contact the good Bishop and correct this error as it is scandalizing good Catholics.
(03-03-2014, 02:43 AM)moon1234 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-03-2014, 02:22 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything we can do about this? Does anyone "in the know" about such things have any idea if POLITE and RESPECTFUL letters to the Bishop might help -- maybe letters including the relevant parts of Summorum Pontificum?

The Bishop's address:

c/o The Catholic Center
     800 West Loop, 820 South

I think this will be an effort with no result.  Better to write to Rome and inform them of the Violation of universal law that the Bishop is carrying out in the name of the Church.  Kindly ask them to contact the good Bishop and correct this error as it is scandalizing good Catholics.

Writing at least first to the Bishop first would be "the Christian thing" to do, following it up with letters to Rome if he doesn't change his position. On the other hand, maybe letters to both at the same time would be most effective way of dealing with it (in terms of achieving the goal) if not exactly the best way to handle it in terms of "fraternal correction."

On second thought -- a scary thought -- who knows how "Rome" would respond given what's been done to the Franciscans?

This world's gone so sucky.
A possible way to phrase it is:

Your Excellency,

You wish us to follow your order under obedience, yet you ignore the law of Summorum Pontificum, which grants universal access to the TLM,  and which law explicitly says you have no legitimate authority to suppress.  Your action in banning the TLM performs the very act which your letter states it is designed to correct? 

How is a Catholic to interpret your illegitimate act if suppressing the TLM?  Are we to give assent to dissent?

Those are my feelings.  My guess is that letter would hit the trash can long before the Bishop even read it.

If Rome does not act, then the law means nothing and the Church is being run by opinion. 

OK, my letter's written. I'm including the whole Summorum Pontificum document -- with some parts highlighted.

Much easier to up and move to another diocese surely?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23