FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Annulment statistics and questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It has been said that the Catholic Church in the U.S.A. grants more annulments than the Catholic Church in any other country.  Where would I, or could I get reliable statistics on this?

Is there anyone here who has been through the annulment process and is willing to share some of their experience?

Thanks
I have been through it..

Whaddya want to know?
(03-03-2014, 10:55 AM)Armor of Light Wrote: [ -> ]I have been through it..

Whaddya want to know?

Were you married in the Catholic Church?
How long were you married?
Did you have children together?
Were you the one who initiated the separation and divorce?
Were you the one who initiated the annulment process?
How long did it take?
Were you satisfied with how you were treated?
Was it done in the U.S.A.?

How's that for a beginning?
(03-03-2014, 11:02 AM)lumine Wrote: [ -> ]

Whaddya want to know?

Were you married in the Catholic Church?
How long were you married?
Did you have children together?
Were you the one who initiated the separation and divorce?
Were you the one who initiated the annulment process?
How long did it take?
Were you satisfied with how you were treated?
Was it done in the U.S.A.?

I'm in Canada, but maybe my experience is helpful. Our ratio of annulments is probably similar to the US, but because we have less population in raw #'s we would be less.

Yes, we were married in the Church, although that was not our original plan.
We were married 9 months.
No children.
I did not initiate the divorce, although I did not contest it.
I was the one who initiated the annulment. I was just getting my feet wet in the Church again after being away for many years, but somehow intuitively knew I had to do it.
The divorce took 22 months. The annulment took about 20 months.
I cannot say enough positive things about the process, even if it had resulted in no annulment being granted. I learned a lot about myself, the Church, and what marriage actually is from it (stuff I wished I knew BEFORE getting married).

I have since remarried, and I credit the process with helping me and my husband understand what we have undertaken. It provided a tremendous amount of healing for me, and ultimately laid the groundwork for me to become a faithful, practicing, traditionalish/conservative Catholic.
Thanks for sharing, PrairieMom.  I'm glad that it worked well for you and that you found healing through the process.
(03-03-2014, 11:02 AM)lumine Wrote: [ -> ]

Whaddya want to know?

Were you married in the Catholic Church? YES
How long were you married? 14 YEARS
Did you have children together? YES..2
Were you the one who initiated the separation and divorce? NO
Were you the one who initiated the annulment process? YES
How long did it take? LESS THAN A YEAR
Were you satisfied with how you were treated? YES
Was it done in the U.S.A.? YES
And, my take on the whole thing is much like PrarieMom's

A good process overall. I did most of the soul searching and self actualization stuff years before the divorce so that part was not as intimidating. My wife went through it, too (the good wife, not the other one) and it opened up a lot of doors for her.
Thanks for sharing, Armor of Light.  Glad it was a healing process for you, as well.
I will be going through this in a very short time; PrarieMom and Armor of Light, thank you for sharing. I certainly can stand to hear some good news about the matter Smile
You are very welcome! I'd be happy to discuss more detailed questions and share more via PM if you think that'd be helpful..
Pages: 1 2