FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Lent starts today in the Eastern Churches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today is Pure Monday, the beginning of the Great Fast.  This year, the Gregorian and Julian calendars agree on the date of Easter.

I was listening to "Light from the East" - a radio program about Eastern Catholicism. This past Sunday was "Cheese Fair" in the Byzantine Church and the Sunday before was Carnival. Now that's a real fast - meat and dairy and for the whole forty days!
Don't give us too much credit.  Except for some of the priests, I don't know anybody who keeps the full traditional fast.
(03-04-2014, 03:11 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote: [ -> ]Don't give us too much credit.  Except for some of the priests, I don't know anybody who keeps the full traditional fast.
Yep. During Lent, most Eastern Catholics fast on Fridays and Wednesdays (which is still stricter than the modern RC tradition).
I'm very happy that the two calendars are lined up this year - the last time in a while. True ecumenism rests in acknowledging the great gaps and schisms between the eastern heart and the western heart, while uniting in prayer for holy Lent.

Every Orthodox person I've met has taken Great Lent very seriously. All dairy, all meat, and specific oils and wines and chocolate and most everything are gone every day, including Sundays. I believe one of the boasts of Medieval Christians against Islam was the fasting rigor. :)

I wonder why the West does not fast on Sundays anymore. This is what I've been taught by the local novus ordo archdiocese, anyway. Did pre-Vatican II Catholicism fast and abstain on Sundays in Lent? Do traditionalists today?
(03-04-2014, 03:20 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder why the West does not fast on Sundays anymore. This is what I've been taught by the local novus ordo archdiocese, anyway. Did pre-Vatican II Catholicism fast and abstain on Sundays in Lent? Do traditionalists today?

Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation are not days of fast.
If they give up eggs too then it's no wonder the "Easter Egg" (not the chocolate, but the regular hard boiled) was such a treat on Easter Sunday.
(03-04-2014, 03:20 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder why the West does not fast on Sundays anymore. This is what I've been taught by the local novus ordo archdiocese, anyway. Did pre-Vatican II Catholicism fast and abstain on Sundays in Lent? Do traditionalists today?

It's always been the tradition in the West, as far as I know, not to fast on Sundays. In the East, the traditional fast is mitigated on Saturdays and Sundays - wine and oil are permitted on these days, though meat, fish and other animal products remain forbidden.

In the Roman Rite, Sundays aren't "in" Lent - counting from Ash Wednesday through Holy Saturday and omitting the Sundays gives you 40 days. In the Byzantine Rite, the 40 days begin on Pure Monday, counting Saturdays and Sundays, and ends on the Friday after the Fifth Sunday of Lent, giving 40 days. Lazarus Saturday, Palm Sunday and Holy Week are not reckoned as part of Lent, but a separate fasting period, which in some monasteries is exceptionally severe.
Very informative, aquinas138. Thank you.
At one time, Latin Catholics did not eat meat on the Sundays of Lent.  I think the rule was relaxed in the 19th Century.