FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Card. Muller on Communion for divorced/remarried, liberation theology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/car...on-and-li/

Card Muller standing pretty firm on the communion for divorced/remarried issue.  Here are some snippets, read the rest there.

Interviewer: "Some are concerned that changes will be made with regards  to the Church’s teaching on divorced and remarried Catholics. Can you reassure the faithful that the changes will be pastoral rather than doctrinal?"

Card Muller: "I would like to answer this question in three parts.

First, I am grateful that your question gives me the opportunity to clarify an important point. The idea that doctrine can be separated from the pastoral practice of the Church has become prevalent in some circles. This is not, and never has been, the Catholic faith.

Recent popes have been at pains to stress the personal lived reality of the Catholic faith. Pope Francis has written, “I never tire of repeating those words of Benedict XVI, which take us to the very heart of the Gospel: ‘Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction’” (Evangelii Gaudium, 7). Within this personal relationship with Christ, which embraces our minds, our hearts, the totality of our lives even, we can grasp the profound unity between the doctrines we believe and how we live our lives, or what we might call the pastoral reality of our lived experience. Opposing the pastoral to the doctrinal is simply a false dichotomy.

Second, we have to be very careful when we talk about Church teaching. If by “change,” one meant denying or rejecting that which has gone before, then this would be misleading. I would prefer to talk about the “development” of Church teaching. The Church does not invent for herself that which she teaches. The teachings of the Church are rooted in the person of Christ, in the mystery of God’s self-revelation.

It may be that, in the course of time, the Church comes to a deeper appreciation of this mystery. It may also come to pass that new circumstances in human history throw a particular light on the implications of this mystery. But, because it is always rooted in the same mystery of Christ, there is always continuity in what the Church teaches.

Third, specifically on the issue of the admission of divorced and remarried Catholics being admitted to Communion, I would refer you to the article I published in the English edition of L’Osservatore Romano Oct. 25, 2013. However, I would like to reiterate several points I make there. First, the teaching of Christ and his Church is clear: A sacramental marriage is indissoluble. Second, those persons whose state of life contradicts the indissolubility of sacramental marriage cannot be admitted to the Eucharist. Third, pastors and parish communities are bound to stand by the faithful who find themselves in this situation with “attentive love” (Familiaris Consortio, 84).

The Church’s concern for her children who are divorced and remarried cannot be reduced to the question of receiving the Eucharist, and I am confident that, rooted in truth and in love, the Church will discover the right paths and approaches in constantly new ways."

Interviewer: "There seems to be a growing sense that other aspects of Church teaching might be changed. Why, in your opinion, is there this feeling?"

Card Muller: "Sometimes it is necessary to distinguish between reality and its presentation in the media. In particular, the secular media often misunderstand the Church. Unfortunately, the media often applies the mindset of secular politics to the Church.

A newly elected leader of a political party might change or reverse that party’s policies. This is not how it works with the pope. When the pope is elected, his mission is to be faithful to the teachings of Christ and his Church. He may find new and creative ways of being faithful to these teachings, but for the pope, the deepest reality is the continuing fidelity to the person of Christ. If the media has created misplaced expectations, then this is unfortunate."

Between Cardinal Muller and Kardinal Kasper,  it sometimes feels like you are getting a good cop, bad cop interrogation.
Actually, I tend to think that good cop, bad cop is a standard tactic of Pope Francis.  He always plays good cop.

Remarried communion issue-- Bad cop: Cdl. Mueller, Good cop: Pope Francis

Franciscans of the Immaculate-- Bad cop: Fr. Volpi, Good cop: Pope Francis

I'll be interested to see if more examples turn up in the near future.  I suspect they shall, if time permits.
I didn't see myself ever saying this when he was first appointed to the CDF, but thank the Lord for Cardinal Mueller!
Well, here is another German bad cop Bishop. Please do yourself a favor and skip the comments.
http://ncronline.org/news/people/church-...man-bishop

I will be very interested in how the Germans will be reigned in.
(03-04-2014, 10:10 PM)Dmorgan Wrote: [ -> ]Well, here is another German bad cop Bishop. Please do yourself a favor and skip the comments.
http://ncronline.org/news/people/church-...man-bishop

I will be very interested in how the Germans will be reigned in.

You know, I think this kind of thing actually helps. It makes the German Bishops look absurd, and does the same to their cause. You notice that during his speech, Kasper was all about trying to make everything seem orthodox and legitimate, this kind of of thing totally undercuts that, and reveals the extent of their heresy for all to see. I bet Kasper is disappointed this came out because it exposes the agenda.
(03-04-2014, 07:54 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't see myself ever saying this when he was first appointed to the CDF, but thank the Lord for Cardinal Mueller!

I relate to your sentiment, but it's a testament to the crisis that we tend to feel thankful over the fact that a high-level prelate actually speaks and behaves in an orthodox manner on some topic.