FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is getting ashes on Ash Wednesday obligatory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wanted to know if it's against any church laws if I don't get ashes tomorrow and is Ash Wednesday a day of obligation?
It is never against Church law to avoid receiving a sacramental. They are optional, not essential. It is strongly recommended that you do receive ashes, however, both as a way to be strengthened, and to act as sign of contradiction to this world that has no idea of sin anymore. Be a brave Catholic, and pray for anyone who laughs at you!

Ash Wednesday has never been a day of obligation.
Get your ashes dude. This will be the second Ash Wednesday and Lent in a row, practically blown because I got very sick.

I'm pissed, I looked forward all year to this Ash Wednesday and I get a Censored ear infection.  >sad
I want to get them but the local n.o. parish has lay people  giving them out.  The priest just sits there.......
(03-04-2014, 11:37 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Get your ashes dude. This will be the second Ash Wednesday and Lent in a row, practically blown because I got very sick.

I'm pissed, I looked forward all year to this Ash Wednesday and I get a Censored ear infection.  >sad

sad  I hope that clears up! A couple of ways to maybe help you are a) to have a public leper smoker verrrrrrrrrrrry gently blow smoke into the affected ear, and/or 2) gently warm up some olive oil (not too hot!) with a (skinned, obviously) clove of garlic in it, and pour the oil (um, minus the clove) into the ear. Garlic kills germs, and the heated oil is really soothing...

I write the above not as a doctor, which I am not, but as an old dago woman LOL

I'm kinda glad it's not a day of obligation as my class schedule tomorrow murders any opportunity for 1200 or 1800 Mass. Only other option would be 0630, but I have a final in one of my classes and that means I'd get, at best, 5 hours of sleep; THEN, I have class in the evening and we're going over/doing important work for after spring break. In short, unless I finish my final in time for 1200, I'm gonna be unable to make it to Mass.

(03-04-2014, 10:40 PM)Glory Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to know if it's against any church laws if I don't get ashes tomorrow and is Ash Wednesday a day of obligation?
No, it is not obligatory. Also, Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation.
(03-04-2014, 11:37 PM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]Get your ashes dude. This will be the second Ash Wednesday and Lent in a row, practically blown because I got very sick.

Same here, I am not going to make it to church tomorrow and missed it last year too.  attending the Mass is not necessary, but I think it really helps get your mind and heart into the spirit of Lent and the ashes are such a physical/tactile reminder that I need to change.  The only obligations you have on Ash Wednesday is abstinence from meat and fasting under the normal conditions
(03-05-2014, 03:27 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]

Same here, I am not going to make it to church tomorrow and missed it last year too.  attending the Mass is not necessary, but I think it really helps get your mind and heart into the spirit of Lent and the ashes are such a physical/tactile reminder that I need to change.  The only obligations you have on Ash Wednesday is abstinence from meat and fasting under the normal conditions

I guess this is our Penance for Lent...I always saw Ash Wednesday as a treat. I always loved to get my ashes dispensed with the saying "Remember O man, thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return."
(03-05-2014, 12:59 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]sad  I hope that clears up! A couple of ways to maybe help you are a) to have a public leper smoker verrrrrrrrrrrry gently blow smoke into the affected ear, and/or 2) gently warm up some olive oil (not too hot!) with a (skinned, obviously) clove of garlic in it, and pour the oil (um, minus the clove) into the ear. Garlic kills germs, and the heated oil is really soothing...

I write the above not as a doctor, which I am not, but as an old dago woman LOL

Thanks, it is clearing up....just a lot of hacking, coughing and going through 4 boxes of Kleenex and a half-roll of toilet paper
Pages: 1 2