FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 68% US Catholics Francis = change for better, 2% change for worse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Poll find 68% of US Catholics think Francis is a change for better, 2% change for worse

Not pasting in article, as it is full of graphs and probably best viewed at source:

http://www.religionnews.com/2014/03/06/c...ge-better/

Too tired to analyse this much now, but think it interesting ...

The main thing that comes to me is the sheer power of the media. Forgive my cynicism but I think few people are thinking for themselves ...

The two per cent interests me. How much, I wonder, is it a guide for percentage of Trads or those close to a Trad position?

What do others think?

(03-06-2014, 07:01 PM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]Poll find 68% of US Catholics think Francis is a change for better, 2% change for worse

Not pasting in article, as it is full of graphs and probably best viewed at source:

The main thing that comes to me is the sheer power of the media. Forgive my cynicism but I think few people are thinking for themselves ...

The two per cent interests me. How much, I wonder, is it a guide for percentage of Trads or those close to a Trad position?

What do others think?

I don't think you're a cynic, I think you're a realist.
Oh Pope Francis, how you tear me in two. Some much of what you do and say is wonderful. So much of what you do and says is ambiguous. I don't know what to make of you.
These figures are explained by the fact that a solid majority of American "Catholics" also believe that artificial contraception is acceptable and do not believe in transubstantiation.

In other words, they have abandoned the faith, whether or not they realize it (almost all of them do - they subscribe to a version of Catholicism they have invented).
(03-06-2014, 07:01 PM)Roger Buck Wrote: [ -> ]Poll find 68% of US Catholics think Francis is a change for better, 2% change for worse

What do others think?

I would say half.  You would have to prune out those who dislike the Pope for his political views, etc.
(03-06-2014, 10:33 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote: [ -> ]These figures are explained by the fact that a solid majority of American "Catholics" also believe that artificial contraception is acceptable and do not believe in transubstantiation.

In other words, they have abandoned the faith, whether or not they realize it (almost all of them do - they subscribe to a version of Catholicism they have invented).

This.
(03-06-2014, 10:33 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote: [ -> ]These figures are explained by the fact that a solid majority of American "Catholics" also believe that artificial contraception is acceptable and do not believe in transubstantiation.

You forgot that a majority also supports homosexual marriage.  (Gee, I wonder why they like Francis-Who-Am-I-To-judge so much.)

And a minority of baptized Catholics even attend Mass every week.  A minority also are even sufficiently catechized in the key doctrines and dogmas of Roman Catholicism. 

Quote:In other words, they have abandoned the faith, whether or not they realize it (almost all of them do - they subscribe to a version of Catholicism they have invented).

IOW (refer to above), the heterodox are registering opinions about how wonderful he is.  A thoroughly orthodox Pope would be very concerned about that, but hey, not him. 

What do others think?

From the article:
Quote:About seven in 10 Catholics (and nearly six in 10 U.S. adults overall) say Francis “represents a major change in direction for the Catholic Church” and that it is “a change for the better.”

and:

Quote:
    Catholics to use birth control: 77 percent said the church should allow it and 56 percent expect it will, about the same (53 percent) as gave that prediction last year.
    Priests to marry: 72 percent say this should happen and 51 percent expect it will, up from 39 percent last year.
    Women to become priests: 68 percent say this should happen and 42 percent expect it will, up from 37 percent last year.

and:
Quote:One surprising finding: 50 percent of U.S. Catholics say the church should recognize same-sex marriages and 36 percent say they think this will happen by 2050. Even among people who attend Mass at least weekly — often the oldest and most conservative Catholics — one in three say the church should recognize same-sex marriages, said Smith.

Given that the Pope is against same-sex "marriage," the use of contraception, allowing women's ordination, etc., it shows to me what you said in your post, Roger:  "The main thing that comes to me is the sheer power of the media."  Yup, they're good at what they do alright. They change a country's morals and mores, then lie about and twist the words of the Pope to make it seem as if he's all about the new "morality," and people from all sides buy it -- trads, neo-cons, liberals, progressives, Jews, atheists, some happy about what the media tell them, some heartbroken over it, but in the end, the world believes what the media tell them to believe. And Pope Francis makes it easy on the media by seemingly not getting how things get played out, his giving them phrases they can too easily distort, etc. I definitely wish he'd stop speaking off the cuff.

That so many Catholics have allowed the media to teach them what's right and wrong shows the almost ABSOLUTE failure of catechesis in the post-conciliar era. It's disgusting.
New Poll finds that 100% of Traditional Catholics want to become Eastern Orthodox as a direct result of gazing into Pope Francis' blank stare.

This doesn't necessarily make it so...

I'm pretty sure that 100% of the number of people polled in this survey - which is 0% genuine - did not even represent 10% of American Catholics. At least 20% of America's population consists of fallen-away Catholics (?), so we can be sure that 80% of those polled by the 1% in Pew are probably not even 50% spiritually-present in terms of the mind of faith and having a nous of fidelity to tradition and the Magisterium.

Anyway, if this is accurate who cares? The Church is either totally incorruptible - even if there's only one man left on Earth - or the end already came decades ago. Either way, we can only ride on the storm. Polls become tedious once we know what's actually going on.
IMO opinion all these stats are meaningless and are used to perpetuate a media myth about the Pope and Catholicism. Father Z made a statement about what should be the primary metric used for Pope Francis, and ANY pope for that matter

"It is one thing to say “He’s the most wonderfullest, fluffiest Pope ehvur!  He’s the first Pope who has ever smiled or kissed a baby!” and quite another to say, “Because of his inspiring model I’ll give up using contraception, get my marriage straightened out, and go to confession.”"

That is the metric that should be used to determine the effectiveness of the pope, cardinal, bishop, priest and/or lay person. The only difference is the more authority one has in their respective state in life or vocation the more responsibility.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/
Pages: 1 2