FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How do we ACT to save sinners?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friends,

After prayer, how do we truly approach public sinners? How do we help them, even if all we know about them is their email?

TLDR version: How far does our Christian obligation stretch in cases like the one below? Do we take a hard line, or a softer course? In cases of adultery? Fornication? Theft? Murder? Can we judge what to do? How?

Longer version: Please help me with this specific example, which is germane given many current news stories:

Two Catholic souls are in a very sad state in San Francisco - indicative of many souls besides themselves. These two men struggled to keep their same-sex urges under control for a while, but some years ago "admitted" that they're both gay. They work in an "LGBT" ministry in their parish, in which they encourage not repentance from, but continuance of the sodomitical lifestyle. Now these two are "engaged" to be "married" by a female Lutheran pastor. Their pastor apparently doesn't care. They've created a public website showcasing how much they love each other, and which is giving all the plans for their "wedding" in August: https://sites.google.com/site/johnandgregwedding/

I've been praying desperately for these souls, who lust after each other, who are perverting the form of a holy sacrament, and who lead other souls astray while kneeling piously at Mass. They have not apostasized formally, but their actions are not in accordance with the holy Gospel. It's clear how much they want attention and validation, given the advertisement of their own wedding on a website. We should be grieved, and fast, and pray for so many sinners multiplying across the world... but how do we act? Is it right to email them at their "Contact Us" web page and admonish them with love? Is it our duty to do so, once we've seen their sad state of affairs?

Thank you...
I think if I personally responded to every person on the internet who was living a sinful lifestyle I would have no life

Here's what the Catholic Encyclopedia says about Fraternal Correction:  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04394a.htm

At the very, VERY least, these guys need serious prayer. Their parish needs to be fumigated.

I'm so tired of this crap. It's just e-n-d-l-e-s-s.

(03-12-2014, 12:33 PM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]I think if I personally responded to every person on the internet who was living a sinful lifestyle I would have no life

This is true... but wouldn't your Non-life be a blessed life of mercy, filled by love of God and love of neighbour? Christ may be said to have been a nobody, or to have had no life, once His ministry went underway. His whole life was healing wounds, admonishing sins, and teaching truth against error. We must leave everything to follow Him, even if it includes wasting time taking up a cross that the obstinate will not carry...

(03-12-2014, 12:33 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Here's what the Catholic Encyclopedia says about Fraternal Correction:  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04394a.htm

At the very, VERY least, these guys need serious prayer. Their parish needs to be fumigated.

I'm so tired of this crap. It's just e-n-d-l-e-s-s.

Thanks for the link, Vox. Always a good idea to quote NewAdvent.

prerequisites to correction:

the delinquency to be corrected or prevented is a grievous one;
    there is no good reason to believe that the sinner will adequately provide for himself;
    there is a well-founded expectation that the admonition will be heeded;
    there is no one else just as well fitted for this work of Christian charity and likely to undertake it;
    there is no special trouble or disadvantage accruing to the reformer as a result of his zeal.

The bolded prerequisite seems non-existent in the case posted in the OP. I wonder just how many situations of fraternal correction are impeded by that one requirement?

Unfortunately not many people in San Francisco will be praying for these people... at least, not the sort of prayers they desperately need. Fumigation won't be coming any time soon in the USA, anti-Catholic capital of the world.

Sorry if the seeming infinity of dying souls has depressed you. That was not my intention. I was just wondering how to act... in this, and in similar situations. Prayer and fasting are first, obviously, but how do we hear the Gospel unless it is preached to us?

I invite everyone to fast and do severe penance for sinners across the world. They are the true "poor" of this world, for they have no access to the riches of Christ.