FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: First council for the Orthodox Churches in 1,200 years announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Orthodox Churches have announced that they will hold their first pan-Orthodox council in 1,200 years.  It will commence in 2016 in Istanbul, Turkey.

They call this "the Holy and Great Synod" and might come to consider it an ecumenical council.  There have been serious discussions about holding such a council in recent years, so this is not a surprise.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbenc...200-years/

This is ... shocking to say the least. Nicaea II was in 787, and they're actually going to repeat the exact circumstances of an ECUMENICAL Council without the Bishop of Rome or his legates in attendance? I was under the impression that the Orthodox believe they cannot hold an ecumenical synod without the West.  Are we sure this isn't just an exaggerated or hyperbolic headline?
(03-17-2014, 01:59 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]This is ... shocking to say the least. Nicaea II was in 787, and they're actually going to repeat the exact circumstances of an ECUMENICAL Council without the Bishop of Rome or his legates in attendance? I was under the impression that the Orthodox believe they cannot hold an ecumenical synod without the West.  Are we sure this isn't just an exaggerated or hyperbolic headline?
The Orthodox do not believe that the Bishop of Rome is essential to the Church like we do; nor do they believ that the Pope is necessary for an Ecumenical Council to be valid.
(03-17-2014, 02:34 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]The Orthodox do not believe that the Bishop of Rome is essential to the Church like we do; nor do they believ that the Pope is necessary for an Ecumenical Council to be valid.

This is so, but do they not refuse to hold an Ecumenical Council unless literally the entirety of Christendom is able to attend or give approbation? I suppose not, given that the ancient Church held 4 more ecumenical councils after 431 when the Nestorians left, and held 3 more councils after 451 when the Orientals left. Interesting, nonetheless.

Hopefully God will move them to come back home suddenly. Smile
(03-17-2014, 02:41 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2014, 02:34 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]The Orthodox do not believe that the Bishop of Rome is essential to the Church like we do; nor do they believ that the Pope is necessary for an Ecumenical Council to be valid.

This is so, but do they not refuse to hold an Ecumenical Council unless literally the entirety of Christendom is able to attend or give approbation? I suppose not, given that the ancient Church held 4 more ecumenical councils after 431 when the Nestorians left, and held 3 more councils after 451 when the Orientals left. Interesting, nonetheless.

Traditional Orthodox ecclesiology would consider the modern West irrelevant since, from their perspective, it has fallen into heterodoxy and thus outside of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. At the risk of oversimplification, Orthodox ecclesiology focuses on orthodoxy as a measure of membership in the Church, whereas Catholic ecclesiology focuses on communion with the Pope.
(03-17-2014, 02:41 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]

My understanding, from my conversations with various Othodox Christians, is that the reason that they do not hold an Ecumenical Counicl is that there is no need for one.
(03-17-2014, 03:41 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]My understanding, from my conversations with various Othodox Christians, is that the reason that they do not hold an Ecumenical Counicl is that there is no need for one.

They certainly need a council to resolve their myriad jurisdictional issues.  As I understand it, this will be a primary focus of the council.
(03-17-2014, 03:51 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]They certainly need a council to resolve their myriad jurisdictional issues.  As I understand it, this will be a primary focus of the council.

Wow. Goodbye Kiev Patriarchate? Hello, American Orthodox Church? Smile

Let's see what these fascinating people do. Hopefully it doesn't end up being their own Vatican II. I have great love for them.
I read that the announcement was coming but I would not hold my breath as to wether it will actually take place.
(03-17-2014, 03:51 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-17-2014, 03:41 PM)Papist Wrote: [ -> ]My understanding, from my conversations with various Othodox Christians, is that the reason that they do not hold an Ecumenical Counicl is that there is no need for one.

They certainly need a council to resolve their myriad jurisdictional issues.  As I understand it, this will be a primary focus of the council.
True, but given what a hot political issue this is, it is unlikely that any radical actions will be taken to deal with jurisdiction.
Pages: 1 2 3