FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What's the true story about Father Carlos Urrutigoity?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I still read Traditio from time to time because even though they twist truth like there's no tomorrow, they do find stories. So I found a story that they commented on and did some of my own investigation.

The story is in regard to Father Carlos Urrutigoity, founder of the Society of St. John, who was later accused of pedophilia. What happened to him next is unclear (and the point of this post). The Diocese of Scranton recently released a statement here:

http://www.dioceseofscranton.org/2014/03...rutigoity/

The statement basically says that it found the allegations against Fr. Urrutigoity to be credible and that they warned the Diocese of Ciudad del Este about him. They go on to say that advised the Diocese of Ciudad del Este to not allow Fr. Urrutigoity to incardinate into the diocese, but to no avail as the Diocese of Ciudad del Este incardinated him. He is now the Vicar General of the diocese.

The first question that comes to my mind is, doesn't the priests' current bishop have to give permission for a priest to be incardinated in another diocese? Or am I wrong?

Secondly, the news report that the statement references says that a treatment facility that Fr. Urrutigoity was sent to stated that he was not fit for ministry. Why didn't the diocese then boot him?

How is this priest not just still a priest, but now a vicar general of a diocese?
I wonder how he is not in jail?
The first question that comes to my mind is, doesn't the priests' current bishop have to give permission for a priest to be incardinated in another diocese? Or am I wrong?

If he was suspended in one diocese he can be incardinated in another. It appears that he disputes the allegations against him and the bishop in that diocese believes him.
Secondly, the news report that the statement references says that a treatment facility that Fr. Urrutigoity was sent to stated that he was not fit for ministry. Why didn't the diocese then boot him?

It appears that he was suspended in the United States. I can't imagine that another bishop in the Uited States would allow him to serve in their diocese. 
Can't they bestow him the "honor" of being the Vicar General of one of those remote islands  in the south pacific where they still practice cannibalism?
(03-18-2014, 12:24 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Secondly, the news report that the statement references says that a treatment facility that Fr. Urrutigoity was sent to stated that he was not fit for ministry. Why didn't the diocese then boot him?

It appears that he was suspended in the United States. I can't imagine that another bishop in the Uited States would allow him to serve in their diocese.   

The Diocese of Ciudad del Este is in Paraguay.
from what i read, the person that accused this priest was at the time of the incident an adult, though they met when the person was a minor.
(03-18-2014, 02:07 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]from what i read, the person that accused this priest was at the time of the incident an adult, though they met when the person was a minor.

becoming an adult doesn't mean his advances were not predatory and unwanted
Maybe the Bishop in Paraguay is an active homosexual himself? or do they have something on him , very strange that both priests would advance that high in a diocese.
Pages: 1 2