FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Revelation: Pope Benedict wrote 4-page critique of Pope Francis’ Jesuit magazine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From LifeSiteNews:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/revelation-pope-benedict-wrote-4-page-critique-of-pope-francis-jesuit-magaz?utm_source=LifeSiteNews.com+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0b827a5901-LifeSiteNews_com_US_Headlines_06_19_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0caba610ac-0b827a5901-326226098

In the wide-ranging, 10,000-word interview, Pope Francis had addressed a wide variety of topics related to his pontificate and personal background and beliefs. However, the lines that attracted the most attention, in both the secular and Catholic press, had to do with the Church’s approach to handling some of the “hot button” moral issues of the day.

“We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods,” the pope had said, adding: “This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context.

“The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church,” the pope had said, “but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.”

These lines were widely interpreted in the mainstream press as a call by the pope for the Catholic Church to downplay its stances on issues like same-sex “marriage” and abortion.

At the same time, some pro-life leaders also expressed similar misgivings, saying that the pope may unwittingly have given fodder to segments of the Church, and the broader culture, that would be more than happy to see the Church stop talking about key moral issues like abortion, same-sex “marriage” and contraception.

They were joined in some of their concerns by some bishops and cardinals, including Vatican Cardinal Raymond Burke, who, during an appearance on EWTN, was asked about priests who defended their decision to  speak less about abortion and gay “marriage” by citing the pope’s admonition to speak about essentials.

Cardinal Burke replied, “What could be more essential than the natural moral law? ... We can never talk enough about that as long as in our society innocent and defenseless human life is being attacked in the most savage way.
I dont like this Benedict stepped down please don't mix the two, this could lead to problems.
This is rather strange. What about retirement for Benedict XVI? This isn't exactly retirement. It seems Francis is working together with Benedict to create a sort of "Papal College"?
So Pope Francis privately asked Pope Emeritus Benedict to critique his interview.  Being new to the role I'm sure he wanted some feedback.

All good so far.

Except the postman obviously read the mail and is now chatting about it.

I say shame on Archbishop Georg Gänswein for talking out of turn.
If he's going to Benedict for fraternal critique on this matter, can it be hoped that he will look to him on other matters to?  Such as the Latin Mass?  How many people on this forum complain to no ends that we have a right to criticise the Pope?  Well this Pope's open to it, and he's asking for it from a sterling source!  This is some good news. Smile

Very interesting. I'm glad, at least, that Francis is seeking some sort of guidance from Benedict. I hope he takes to heart what Benedict has to say...

triumphguy, prie dieu, and vox - good points. It is a good thing! Maybe Benedict will temper Francis' penchant for ambiguity.