FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Appreciation for the Catholic East
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here are some pictures of Blessed Pope John XXIII celebrating the Divine Liturgy.
I think the Pope was wearing a mix of Western and Eastern vestments.
[Image: pope+john+xxiii+byzantine.JPG]
[Image: divine+liturgy.jpg]

The Servant of God Pope Pius XII with the Patriarch of the Melkites.
[Image: Pope-Pius-XII-Bishop-of-Rome-Melkite-Pat...0x374.jpeg]
I'm happy you guys have liked the pictures of the Popes.  :)

Pope Pius XI with Melkite bishops.

[Image: 640px-Pius_XI_with_Patriarch_of_the_Melk...Church.jpg]

Pope Benedict XVI with Eastern bishops.
[Image: noah+2.jpg]
(03-21-2014, 08:35 PM)CatholicLife Wrote: [ -> ]I'm happy you guys have liked the pictures of the Popes.  :)

Pope Pius XI with Melkite bishops.

[Image: 640px-Pius_XI_with_Patriarch_of_the_Melk...Church.jpg]

Pope Benedict XVI with Eastern bishops.
[Image: noah+2.jpg]

Notice the shoes that the bishop is wearing on Pope Benedict's left---they look like they match the pope's!
Last year, we brought the Divine Liturgy to the local college Newman center.  We held two divine liturgies at the 5PM and 7PM time slots. While the church was not in the Byzantine style, it was good to expose the parish to the riches of the Eastern Divine Liturgy.

http://youtu.be/tcrF7w3H678?t=2m18s

(03-22-2014, 12:18 PM)jpcullen70 Wrote: [ -> ]Last year, we brought the Divine Liturgy to the local college Newman center.  We held two divine liturgies at the 5PM and 7PM time slots. While the church was not in the Byzantine style, it was good to expose the parish to the riches of the Eastern Divine Liturgy.

http://youtu.be/tcrF7w3H678?t=2m18s

That's some real initiative, jpcullen70! It's pretty much the monthly situation with our Ukrainian-Greek Catholic parish: two painting-easels with icons, and a freestanding altar with candles. Better than nothing. It's certainly an improvement over the 1969 Missal.
(03-20-2014, 06:50 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2014, 06:39 PM)Prie dieu Wrote: [ -> ]I think, firstly, avoiding the usage of the term "uniate" might be a good start.  :LOL:

It seems a fairly accurate word. Since it never became all that offensive until post-Vatican II, I presumed traditional-minded people wouldn't mind it so much, Western or Eastern. I apologize, then.

FYI, it  was kind of offensive before Vatican II, also.
Pages: 1 2 3