FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Appreciation for the Catholic East
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Friends,

Our Eastern (not uniate) brethren may only be about 15 million in population, but they are valid members of the Catholic faith.

Who'd like to share any pictures, reminiscences, or thoughts about the cult and culture of the eastern Christians in union with Rome?  Smile

[Image: noah+2.jpg]
Something about the eastern way of approaching the soul seems to address the whole person, rather than abstract categories. Sure, there's the focus on the passions and such, but not to the Thomistic degree of separating utilities, modes, and faculties.

I must admit that the Byzantine-rite iconostasis holds a special place in my heart, high above the communion rail. It is one of the main reasons I love the Byzantines. Even the rood screen is a pale imitation of the that vast sea of colour, light, and theology.

For many, the image of an Eastern Catholic church is one of hearth, not of altar. The screen of icons is like a vast family gathering of the holy saints. The holy table of the Eucharist is the fireplace from which the smoke of incense rises. The simple warmth of the gold in the icons makes present the reality of heavenly glory. The hymns mirror the action of the cherubim and seraphim made present in our midst.

[Image: t5ea.jpg]
I think, firstly, avoiding the usage of the term "uniate" might be a good start.  LOL
(03-20-2014, 06:39 PM)Prie dieu Wrote: [ -> ]I think, firstly, avoiding the usage of the term "uniate" might be a good start.  LOL

It seems a fairly accurate word. Since it never became all that offensive until post-Vatican II, I presumed traditional-minded people wouldn't mind it so much, Western or Eastern. I apologize, then.
Getting pussywillows instead of palms on Palm Sunday, then being 'tapped' with them 3 times on the head and shoulders for a blessing....  Parastas after Mass for the soul of the Mass intention....  the elaborate decorations on Good Friday vs. the stripped down Roman rite churches and approaching the shroud on your knees... as a kid I always used to think of it as going to Jesus' wake at a funeral parlor with all the flowers... 
Thank you Heorot.

I love the Eastern rite Church as well. There used to be a Byzantine rite Mass in my general vicinity, and I attended a few times, but then it seems to have disappeared. But I loved it while I was able to attend.

I agree with your feelings about the "whole" body and soul issue. You know, when you look at those old Roman basilicas, they are very "Eastern", because back then the Church was one in every way, and breathed with both lungs.
If any of you ever have an opportunity to go to a

Pre-Sanctified Liturgy during Lent,

I highly recommend it............. Chanting the Psalms

is wonderful. The prayers and the singing and the prostrations

are just beautiful................

As a Latin Rite Catholic who found the Byzantine Divine Liturgy 9 years ago,

I can honestly say its one of the best things to ever happen to my spiritual life........

==============

St Raymond of Penafort, pray for us..............
Thank you for your thoughts, straymondpenafort and catholicschoolmom!

(03-20-2014, 08:20 PM)maldon Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Heorot.

I love the Eastern rite Church as well. There used to be a Byzantine rite Mass in my general vicinity, and I attended a few times, but then it seems to have disappeared. But I loved it while I was able to attend.

I agree with your feelings about the "whole" body and soul issue. You know, when you look at those old Roman basilicas, they are very "Eastern", because back then the Church was one in every way, and breathed with both lungs.

Funny, whenever I see churches like Sant'Apollinare nuovo in Ravenna, I get the impression that back then the Church breathed with just one lung - or rather, that it breathed with two lungs, which were both Eastern.

The Preface and Anaphora ("canon") of the Eastern Catholic Mass celebrated by a bishop:

As beautiful as the chanted Preface to the Roman Canon is, this is absolutely haunting.
I enjoy the art and liturgy of the Eastern Catholics too. There's a lot to learn on both sides.
Heorot,

Well yes, I mean Ravenna is Eastern, in a one-lung sense. San Vitale is one of my all time favorite churches. I think it has an image of St. Lawrence by a window all of gold. Really beautiful. For the two-lung sort of church, I was thinking more Santa Sabina, which is not as pretty, but you get the sense of East and West together.
Pages: 1 2 3