FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Possible letter to the bishop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following is the sketch of my letter to the bishop for bringing the Latin Mass to the cathedral as well as Ad Orientem worship. If you believe I should change or add something please tell me. I don't mind criticism or suggestions.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your Excellency

First of all I would like to start of my briefly introducing myself. My name is Arturo and I am currently discerning the religious life as well as to the priesthood. I am looking into various communities, and for most part I am deciding on the Norbertines at Saint Michael's Abbey. As of right now I am currently involved in several lay ministries and associations. The biggest one I am currently involved in is with the Brotherhood of Saint Dismas in which was and continues to be a big contributor towards my conversion, my knowledge of the faith, and my formation as a Catholic and a loyal son of the Church.

The main point of this letter is an invitation of bringing what is know as the Extraordinary Form also known as the Tridentine Mass to Holy Family cathedral. This form of the Mass is one which I and various people I am good friends with have become quite attached to. In my opinion it would be of great service to Holy Family and to any other parish that brings back this form of the Mass.

I am quite aware of the troubles and obstacles of various types that might be met by trying to implement this in Holy Family, Christ Cathedral, or any other parish that would be enthusiastic in bringing back the Extraordinary Form. However I think that the benefits far outweighs the costs and would be worth it. Like stated there are various people  and it would harbor great feelings knowing that they could attend the Mass of their childhood. It is a big aspect our Catholic Tradition, and thus would help keep and nurture this. As Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI stated in his "Moto Propio" Summorum Pontificum " What earlier generations hold as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too".

Much more than simply a Mass for those who grew up with it, it is to be noted that many of those who attend the Latin Mass are not only those of the older generations, including those who grew up with it. Rather  many young men and women including myself. It truly is a wonder that many attendees to the Latin Mass are young men and women ranging from their early twenties to mid to late thirties. It truly is a wonder and a blessing. I would not se it as a big surprise though. Many young people including myself are looking for reverence and solemnity. It is not that you cannot see this at the Ordinary Form but that many times this is not what they see. This I know is not an aspect of the Mass itself, but of the men who celebrate it.

In the following letter I not only invite Your Excellency to help bring this solemn Mass at Holy Family, but also offer an invitation to help bring forwards the practice of what is known as "Ad Orientem" worship (the facing of the east). This is a fundamental aspect of the Extra Ordinary form, but not exclusive to the Ordinary Form either. Thus I think Ad Orientem could be just as beneficial to the Ordinary Form. This is itself what Vatican II called for, and what the council had in mind.

A common objection to the facing of the east is that the priest is facing his back to the people. However once someone begins to understand the theological significance of Ad Orientem then I strongly believe they will come to appreciate it. They will begin to realize that the priest is not facing his back to the people. Rather the priest is facing the same direction as the people, because he and the people together are offering worship and sacrifice to God. IT is an act of hope waiting in joyful expectation for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ who will return to judge the living and the dead. It is an act of Godly worship and of hope at the same time for the return of our Lord and King Jesus Christ.

Attached with this letter I am sending a copy of Summorum Pontificum which I believe should be read by various people, if not everyone. I am also attaching one or two articles which I believe further give valuable information both for the Latin Mass itself and for the use of "Ad Orientem Worship

Kissing the Sacred Ring
I think the idea to get a new TLM going is a good one, but here are my caveats:
-letting a bishop know that you are interested in the TLM and also thinking about a vocation is risky... At least in my day this would be an automatic disqualificaiton from seminary.
-telling a bishop what Vatican II really intended is considered provocative, especially for a young person.

I would suggest a simple letter addressed to the Bishop requesting a TLM at a specific Church and have the letter signed by as many people as you can. Mention that this letter signifies a committment to attend this mass, so he knows it is a stable group.
I wouldn't muddy the message of the letter with things like AO worship, etc.

If your bishop isn't a raving heretic, all he will care about is 'will people attend', 'can he find a priest' 'will this cause division', 'is it financially sustainable'. etc.
(03-21-2014, 11:26 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: [ -> ]I think the idea to get a new TLM going is a good one, but here are my caveats:
-letting a bishop know that you are interested in the TLM and also thinking about a vocation is risky... At least in my day this would be an automatic disqualificaiton from seminary.
-telling a bishop what Vatican II really intended is considered provocative, especially for a young person.

I would suggest a simple letter addressed to the Bishop requesting a TLM at a specific Church and have the letter signed by as many people as you can. Mention that this letter signifies a committment to attend this mass, so he knows it is a stable group.
I wouldn't muddy the message of the letter with things like AO worship, etc.

If your bishop isn't a raving heretic, all he will care about is 'will people attend', 'can he find a priest' 'will this cause division', 'is it financially sustainable'. etc.

Thanks for the advice. I live in Orange County and the bishop is Kevin Vann. He seems pretty good as there are quite a few places in the diocese that celebrate the TLM. They are celebrated by Norbertine priests.

In order to convince the Bishop that a Latin Mass ought to be said regularly in a particular parish you need to show that a stable community of people exists who will support and attend such a mass on an ongoing basis.

I agree with Winoblue. Drop any mention of the Novus Ordo or the Council, any talk about folks trying to find reverence (which implies that things in his diocese are bad), etc. If the goal of your letter is to get the TLM at the cathedral, stick to that, drop mention of a vocation, focus on the NUMBER OF PEOPLE you think want this and would attend, focus on young people's interest in our Catholic heritage without mentioning what the NO lacks, mention things you are willing to do to make it all possible, your ability to find a priest to offer it (if you know one who can and will), etc.  

IOW, don't diss what he's got going in his diocese, don't diss the NO or Council or come off as if you know more about all that than he does, show him why a TLM would be a good thing in terms of attendance and interest on the part of Catholics (esp. younger Catholics), and make his job EASY for him so there's not much he can say "but" to.