FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Majority of Cardinals against Card. Kasper's proposals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/03...tampa.html

Very encouraging article from La Stampa/Vatican Insider.

One key quote from Cardinal Ruini: “... at this moment, about 85% of the Cardinals have expressed opinions apparently contrary to the layout of the report.” He added that among those who did not say anything - therefore could not be classified - he took from their silence that: “I believe they are embarrassed”.

The article lists some of the Cardianls that spoke against Kasper’s proposals, mentioning: Card Muller, Caffarra, Burke, Brandmuller, Bagnasco, Sarah, Re, Piacenza, Tauran, Scola, and Ruini.
(03-26-2014, 03:21 PM)McCall1981 Wrote: [ -> ]http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/03...tampa.html

Very encouraging article from La Stampa/Vatican Insider.

One key quote from Cardinal Ruini: “... at this moment, about 85% of the Cardinals have expressed opinions apparently contrary to the layout of the report.” He added that among those who did not say anything - therefore could not be classified - he took from their silence that: “I believe they are embarrassed”.

The article lists some of the Cardianls that spoke against Kasper’s proposals, mentioning: Card Muller, Caffarra, Burke, Brandmuller, Bagnasco, Sarah, Re, Piacenza, Tauran, Scola, and Ruini.

I think Ruini meant that 85% of the cardinals who had spoken about the proposal at that point were against it.

But in any event, this is a very interesting development because the names mentioned were very prominent.

The next day, though, Francis doubled down in favor of Kasper by saying:

"“Yesterday, … I read or rather re-read the work of Cardinal Kasper, and I would like to thank him because I found profound theology, and even serene thinking in theology. It is pleasant to read serene theology. And I also found what Saint Ignatius told us about, that sensus Ecclesiae, love for Mother Church. It did me good and an idea came to me — excuse me, Eminence, if I embarrass you — but the idea is that this is called “doing theology on one’s knees.” Thank you. Thank you.”

My reading is that Francis is determined to implement the Kasper proposal (or something very much like it) no matter how much flack he gets. He's had giving communion to the divorced/remarried on the brain for a long time, and has been talking about it ever since World Youth Day.

Despite all his talk about "collegiality," Bergoglio had a reputation for high-handed decision making in Buenos Aires, and so it would not be out of character for him to impose something from on high. If push comes to shove, I don't see anyone turning in his red hat over it, especially if there is some canonical sleight-of-hand to raise the bar on what constitutes a "real sacramental marriage" in the first place.