FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Burke Vs. The Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mr. Verrecchio's latest:

http://www.harvestingthefruit.com/rumblings-in-rome/

Contrast Cardinal Burke's clear denunciation of the "errors" of Kasper vs. the fawning over these exact "errors" by the supreme pontiff himself.

Concerning granting doctrinal authority to local bishops' synods - how is such a thing different from re-writing the Holy Spirit's contract with the Church?!  Can the Keys be taken off the ring and passed around?

Understanding this, though, is easy: for the modernist, faith, and thus authority, originates with man.  Faith itself is not a theological virtue instilled directly by God, but rather the result of the searching consciences of individual men (who then get together and talk about it in touching displays of commonality).  Such did the New Theologians (more or less all censured or condemned by the Holy Office in the 40s and 50s yet finding themselves the very council periti) teach.
I actually wonder what the Church would look like with a Pope Burke.  I don't think that things would be as dramatically different as some of us (myself included!) would like to think.  Now a Pope Fellay...that's a different story  :grin:
(03-29-2014, 04:07 PM)2HearsServant Wrote: [ -> ]I actually wonder what the Church would look like with a Pope Burke.  I don't think that things would be as dramatically different as some of us (myself included!) would like to think.  Now a Pope Fellay...that's a different story  :grin:

I'm tempted to say Pope Burke would be very similar to Benedict XVI (Ratzinger Remade - God bless him, he did reconsider much and do much good).

However, that was then and this is now.  The feeling I get watching Burke speak is that he sees a fork in the road ahead - and he's taking the Narrow Road, even if it's just him.

(And, yes, we will have to be content dreaming of the likes of a man like Fellay as pontiff for the time being, and a pretty good time to come, it would seem.)
Why did Pope Benedict resign i say he looks healthy enough
Burke is an interesting character and is more forceful and openly critical than probably 99.9% of the rest of the episcopate but who knows what he would do if he were the Pope. i would believe that what A Catholic Thinker has said is about right, that he would probably be similar to Benedict XVI; he'd constantly reaffirm his loyalties to Vatican II while slowly giving opportunities for an increased use of the Old Rite Mass, traditional blessings, the use of traditional vestments etc. I think he would be more reform of the reform than  traditionalist ecclesiastical culture warrior. If politics is the art of the possible than ecclesiastical politics is no different.
I agree with you guys...probably a "Benedict XVII."  But I do believe 100% that we would see a traditional papal liturgy if Cardinal Burke would ever make it there, and we didn't actually get that with Papa Benedict.  Heck, maybe even a papal coronation? Not that I think the Cardinal has that great of a chance anyhow...
Forget Tradition-specific issues for a second.  Barring a moral miracle, ++Burke will never be pope, and there's a very simple reason why.

He would enforce the canon that says Holy Communion may not be given to pro-abort politicians.  That means the heads of clergy everywhere would roll.

And so he will never be pope.

This really is a scary video. The idea of "kicking the can" around, as Mr. Verecchio put it, so the "divorced and remarried" issue is dealt with at the episcopal level seems like it'd end up in major fragmenting of the Church and lots of confusion, with people "diocese-shopping" to get annulments and the like. It's a wretched image that I so pray never comes to pass.