FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Official Debates on This Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(03-31-2014, 12:05 PM)Michael Levanduski Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2014, 02:55 AM)jhfromsf68 Wrote: [ -> ]Completed the survey. I made a suggestion of creating some new sub forums. One would be a debate forum, where Catholics can debate Protestants or Atheists or any representative of a group who feels the need to debate a Catholic. Another one would be a anything goes type of sub forum where anything under the sun could be discussed, including controversial topics. this forum would not be moderated and discussions could become heated. Just some suggestions, is there other sub forums that members would like to see created?

As much as I regret having to 'derail' the conversation about homosexuality (j/k), I just wanted to add that I LOVE this idea from jhfromsf68.  I think civil debates between traditional Catholics and others (protestants, atheists, and more liberal Catholics) is a great idea, and having a section dedicated to that goal would be GREAT! 

I didn't think of this when I took the survey, but that could be a great idea, so long as we have enough knowledgeable and capable Trads here who would be willing to handle the debating and are around enough for it, as we know how long such things can go.
Ready  Smile

I'm totally game for debates!  We started to do this eons ago -- a debate between an attorney and another Fishie, but the non-attorney Fishie backed out.

So, what should the first debate topic be -- and who should do the debating? I'd be happy to moderate, or someone else can be elected. What do you guys want to see?

(03-31-2014, 05:18 PM)Pro Tridentina (Malta) Wrote: [ -> ]Ready  Smile

How's about a debate between you and (you name your opponent and we'll see if s/he's game) about this:  "The traditional Latin Mass as offered in 1962 is vastly superior in all ways but one (the validity of the Consecration) to the Novus Ordo Missae." 

Hey, someone who posts at CAF could pull someone over from there and have them debate it here. That'd be interesting -- a sort of "CAF vs. FE" debate.

Love the idea of debate threads - a great way to have controlled conversations between two/however many people (and since it's online they'd be a bit like playing chess via the mail) on issues of general interest.
(04-01-2014, 08:02 PM)loggats Wrote: [ -> ]Love the idea of debate threads - a great way to have controlled conversations between two/however many people (and since it's online they'd be a bit like playing chess via the mail) on issues of general interest.

Is there anything you want to debate, Loggats? Name your poison -- and we can try to find you a worthy opponent!
(04-01-2014, 08:02 PM)loggats Wrote: [ -> ]Love the idea of debate threads - a great way to have controlled conversations between two/however many people (and since it's online they'd be a bit like playing chess via the mail) on issues of general interest.

I've always thought that would be a good idea.  Prevents interruptions and unintentional derailing, and gives the two parties more time to think. (The only problem is when I am the one who wants to interrupt.)  Obviously the free-for-all format has advantages, but the debate format could be an additional alternative.

(Now if only we could have a "everyone but.." format; hmm, I suppose that wouldn't REALLY be charitable)

Totally, Doce!  If anyone has debate topics they want to see argued, please post them!  Or if there's a particular debate you'd like to see -- like, say, Fishie X taking on Fishie Y on a given topic, post it! Let's make it happen!

Wow this debate idea is really great.

There are so many topics I could think about, many of the debates Catholic in general, but some of them just about society and culture

I like the idea of a debate vs someone from Catholic Answers vs FishEaters

Debates on historical and society topics
- Distributism vs other economic systems
- Monarchy vs other types of government

Debates on the Mass
Latin Mass vs Novus Ordo
- FSSP vs other traditional societies
- High Mass vs Low Mass

I think a debate vs a Catholic and any non Catholic, protestant, Jew, Muslim, or any other
would also not be a bad idea.

These are just some debate examples

Thanks, Arturo! Keep 'em coming, guys -- the ideas, that is! I need ideas -- AND folks who are interested in doing the actual debating! I will keep note of all these!
Pages: 1 2