FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Top Ten Myths about the Middle Ages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hatred for the Middle Ages goes hand-in-hand with hatred for the Catholic Church. This list helps to set the record straight with respect to the first.

http://listverse.com/2009/01/07/top-10-m...ddle-ages/

Clip:

Myth: The Middle Ages were a time of great violence

While there was violence in the Middle Ages (just as there had always been), there were no equals to our modern Stalin, Hitler, and Mao. Most people lived their lives without experiencing violence. The Inquisition was not the violent bloodlust that many movies and books have claimed it to be, and most modern historians now admit this readily. Modern times have seen genocide, mass murder, and serial killing – something virtually unheard of before the “enlightenment”. In fact, there are really only two serial killers of note from the Middle Ages: Elizabeth Bathory, and Gilles de Rais. For those who dispute the fact that the Inquisition resulted in very few deaths, Wikipedia has the statistics here showing that there were (at most) 826 recorded executions over a 160 year period – from 45,000 trials!
Thanks for posting. Smile I like studying the Medieval ages

You might enjoy my article on the same topic
http://walkinginthedesert.com/2013/08/24...dark-ages/
(04-04-2014, 08:40 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for posting. Smile I like studying the Medieval ages

You might enjoy my article on the same topic
http://walkinginthedesert.com/2013/08/24...dark-ages/

Excellent article! Thanks for sharing!

A couple of older threads on this topic that y'all might like:

Medieval Justice Not So Medieval:  http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...=1289774.0

A Reassessment of the Medieval Times:  http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...=3460528.0

This is all good stuff. Every Catholic should be ready and able to use these to fend off the arguments of the "haters."

I argue a lot on Secular media forums (whenever I see an article about the Church I get involved) because most people only know a bunch of outright lies about the church and it's doctrine and history). What I see in commenting there is that most Catholics who try and defend the faith bail after a few negative comments, when most online discussions are absolutely winnable by a knowledgeable Catholic who is certain about their faith.
(04-05-2014, 12:33 PM)triumphguy Wrote: [ -> ]This is all good stuff. Every Catholic should be ready and able to use these to fend off the arguments of the "haters."

I argue a lot on Secular media forums (whenever I see an article about the Church I get involved) because most people only know a bunch of outright lies about the church and it's doctrine and history). What I see in commenting there is that most Catholics who try and defend the faith bail after a few negative comments, when most online discussions are absolutely winnable by a knowledgeable Catholic who is certain about their faith.

WTG, man! I'm so glad you're out there doing that, and wish more Catholics would (and also doing more book and movie reviews and other things online so we're a (literally) virtual force to be reckoned with on the WWW (see http://www.fisheaters.com/evangelize.html )  Every average-type Catholic should be able to:

1. defend the Faith against basic Protestant ideas (sola fide, sola scriptura, disbelief in Purgatory and the Communion of Saints and the Real Presence, etc.), and

2. be able to argue intelligently about: the "Constantine's Church" nonsense; the Crusades; the Spanish Inquisition; the general "medieval=bad, stupid, dirty, superstitious, and cruel, 1500 year-long horror show" idea; the Galileo affair; alleged "anti-semitism"; "Hitler's Pope"; and the so-called "pedophilia problem" that isn't a pedophilia problem at all. And

3. be able to defend against divorce, contraception, abortion, gay "marriage," priestly celibacy, and violations of subsidiarity

If I were running an RCIA class, I'd want to totally arm my students with that information, doing what I can to make sure they STAY Catholic even after some Protestant or some secular Church-hater tries to argue them out of it, and so they'd be real SOLDIERS of Christ that Confirmation is supposed to make them -- able to fight back and to evangelize.

(04-05-2014, 01:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2014, 12:33 PM)triumphguy Wrote: [ -> ]This is all good stuff. Every Catholic should be ready and able to use these to fend off the arguments of the "haters."

WTG, man! I'm so glad you're out there doing that, and wish more Catholics would (and also doing more book and movie reviews and other things online so we're a (literally) virtual force to be reckoned with on the WWW (see http://www.fisheaters.com/evangelize.html )  Every average-type Catholic should be able to:

1. defend the Faith against basic Protestant ideas (sola fide, sola scriptura, disbelief in Purgatory and the Communion of Saints and the Real Presence, etc.), and

2. be able to argue intelligently about: the "Constantine's Church" nonsense; the Crusades; the Spanish Inquisition; the general "medieval=bad, stupid, dirty, superstitious, and cruel, 1500 year-long horror show" idea; the Galileo affair; alleged "anti-semitism"; "Hitler's Pope"; and the so-called "pedophilia problem" that isn't a pedophilia problem at all. And

3. be able to defend against divorce, contraception, abortion, gay "marriage," priestly celibacy, and violations of subsidiarity

If I were running an RCIA class, I'd want to totally arm my students with that information, doing what I can to make sure they STAY Catholic even after some Protestant or some secular Church-hater tries to argue them out of it, and so they'd be real SOLDIERS of Christ that Confirmation is supposed to make them -- able to fight back and to evangelize.

That's a good list.

I also win a lot of the "rational" arguments: That belief in atheism is rational when belief in god isn't. Not that I lose, but sometimes it;s not worth banging your head when you've made your point a few times.

Another easy one is "proving that God exists."

Maybe we should have a thread where we go through these arguments.
(04-05-2014, 01:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]If I were running an RCIA class, I'd want to totally arm my students with that information, doing what I can to make sure they STAY Catholic even after some Protestant or some secular Church-hater tries to argue them out of it, and so they'd be real SOLDIERS of Christ that Confirmation is supposed to make them -- able to fight back and to evangelize.

You should Smile
(04-05-2014, 01:43 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]

Great suggestions VoxSmile

Maybe these are also some topics we can debate or maybe even great new pages for the Fish Eaters website
This is all quite relative - the area I'm looking at right now (bits of what would become Germany) were particularly bloody during the 1200s, and there was a lot of violence in parts of England (the suppression of the Lollards etc). The middle ages was not some great battle field, but it wasn't a bed of roses either.
Pages: 1 2