FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Blickling Homilies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friends,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blickling_homilies
https://archive.org/details/blicklinghomili00morrgoog

The Blickling Homilies are sermons on the liturgical year by an anonymous Anglo-Saxon homilist of the 10th century. They were apparently discovered and published in 1874. For the sake of other Fishies, I want to record some of them using my meagre equipment and small voice.

Homilies like these throw light on the mystical and ascetical ideas of our elder brethren in Faith.

The Paschal homily comes first... but it's not what you might expect. It is put in two sections: the harrowing of Hell, and the coming of the Final Judgment. There is little talk about feasting or the empty tomb, and much about judgment, repentance, and hell. It is very refreshing to hear such things spoken of in a Resurrection homily! I find these works very fascinating.

The first offering in this series was recorded in one take, so please excuse any slips...

[video=youtube]OQhqOvTj9v0[/video]

I'll bring Palm Sunday in a few days, if you're not too offended by my voice... Smile
Thank you for this  Smile.
(04-08-2014, 06:33 PM)2HeartsServant Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for this  Smile.

You're welcome. Please do critique anything that could be improved.  Grin

The Palm Sunday homily is very long, and a sick guest of mine keeps coughing heavily, so I cannot record it now.  LOL

Sorry for uploading Easter during Lent, but I believe a good way to prepare for Pascha is to think about it and hear the wisdom of the past on it.
Thank you, I enjoyed that very much! I was looking for something to listen to while cooking tonight. 

It was a little quiet, I had to turn my volume up pretty high. But you sound like a professional narrator!
(04-08-2014, 06:48 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-08-2014, 06:33 PM)2HeartsServant Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for this  Smile.

You're welcome. Please do critique anything that could be improved.  Grin

The Palm Sunday homily is very long, and a sick guest of mine keeps coughing heavily, so I cannot record it now.  LOL

Sorry for uploading Easter during Lent, but I believe a good way to prepare for Pascha is to think about it and hear the wisdom of the past on it.

What a terrifying vision in that sermon. Designed to bring about awe and repentance for sure..

And, Heorot, what a tremendous reading voice you have! Have you ever considered reading books for the blind?  If you're interested, see this page:  http://www.blindserviceassociation.org/volunteer.php  I think you'd be very good at this. Also, some folks make audio books professionally. I don't know anything about how to get into that, though...

My only complaint is that the volume levels are very low. I had to turn my system speaker alllll the way up -- and also turn allll the way up the Youtube volume control. Other than that, it was perfection. Thanks for recording these! (and it was nice to hear your voice, even if you hadn't been reading such interesting sermons from the past Smile )

(04-08-2014, 09:18 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you, I enjoyed that very much! I was looking for something to listen to while cooking tonight. 

It was a little quiet, I had to turn my volume up pretty high. But you sound like a professional narrator!

I hope my voice didn't distract you too much or cause you to do some accidental food-poisoning. Smile

Volume...hmm...

(04-08-2014, 09:26 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]What a terrifying vision in that sermon. Designed to bring about awe and repentance for sure..

And, Heorot, what a tremendous reading voice you have! Have you ever considered reading books for the blind?  If you're interested, see this page:  http://www.blindserviceassociation.org/volunteer.php  I think you'd be very good at this. Also, some folks make audio books professionally. I don't know anything about how to get into that, though...

My only complaint is that the volume levels are very low. I had to turn my system speaker alllll the way up -- and also turn allll the way up the Youtube volume control. Other than that, it was perfection. Thanks for recording these! (and it was nice to hear your voice, even if you hadn't been reading such interesting sermons from the past Smile )

That's traditional homiletics, Vox! To bring about repentance! I love it! Smile

Praise you for your kind words. I am often hoarse and always very quiet, but it's possible to read with steadiness and strength when I try. Thank you also for alerting me to the existence of that blind-service association. I'd love to do that for our brothers and sisters deprived of sight!

I must admit that I didn't think about the volume levels. The problem is that I have a very poor-quality microphone which generates static noise. To get rid of this noise, I have to utilize a noise-removal dynamic effect. This cuts down the volume. I can try to increase the decibel count, but I don't know if that would result in a "sonic boom". I'll have to try that with Palm Sunday's homily...