FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Hallelula at a Wedding by a Priest...well done!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Why, why, why couldn't he have done this at the RECEPTION? He sang it beautifully -- but a Nuptial Mass isn't the time for a performance like this. Sigh. From a blog called The Deacon's Bench:

Watch a priest leave this bride and groom speechless—and in tears
April 8, 2014 By Deacon Greg Kandra

I’ve never seen anything quite like this. And I’ll wager you haven’t either.

From the Christian Post:

SonLight Music Ministry had just finished what sounded like a beautiful rendition of “Be Thou My Vision” when Father Ray Kelly again took the mic at the wedding of Chris and Leah O’Kane. But instead of closing the ceremony as planned, the priest unleashed a big surprise for the couple that’s destined for the pantheon of wedding viral videos.

It’s not a joke or a slip-up, but a performance of epic proportions. A backing track mysteriously begins and Father Kelly launches into a rewritten version of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” customized just for the new married couple.

Just watch.

Whilst I think this song is inappropriate (I've seen worse ones though), it would have been more palatable sung by the chorus. This "gift" from the priest is so deliberately informal and pueril, that it brings ridicule on the priesthood.

By the way, I find altar girls wearing cassocks so ridiculous!
A video posted online Monday shows a priest stun wedding guests at the end of a ceremony with an amazing rendition of “Hallelujah” — and it’s gone viral since it was uploaded.

The footage of Father Ray Kelly delivering a pitch-perfect version of Leonard Cohen’s legendary song has received more than 250,000 views in just two days.

Individuals on YouTube have reacted with rave reviews.

Already posted, Zedta, so topics merged Smile
(04-11-2014, 10:57 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Already posted, Zedta, so topics merged Smile

OOPS! I shoulda known I couldn't scoop ya!
This is a perfect example of what Mass facing the people (instead of God in the Tabernacle) can lead to. The Nuptial Mass is a SACRAMENT.  It is not a performance.
No concept of sacred space, or the Sacred in general
bing crosby did it better.