FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Comedian Wants Religious to be Treated Like Racists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

From express.co.uk:

Chris O'Dowd: 'Religion will be as unacceptable as racism'
Actor CHRIS O'DOWD is convinced following a religion will eventually become as offensive and unacceptable as racism.
Published: Fri, March 7, 2014

The Bridesmaids star grew up respecting people of faith despite his atheist views, but he admits he has become "less liberal" as he ages.

Now he is certain religious doctrine is halting human progress and even accuses U.S. President Barack Obama of overstating his Christianity to please extremists in his race to the White House.

He has even branded religions a "weird cult" and insists it's "crazy" to believe in a god.

O'Dowd tells GQ magazine, "For most of my life, I've been, 'Hey, I'm not into it, but I respect your right to believe whatever you want'. But as time goes on, weirdly, I'm growing less liberal. I'm more like, 'No, religion is ruining the world, you need to stop!'.

"There's going to be a turning point where it's going to be like racism. You know, 'You're not allowed to say that weird s**t! It's mad! And you're making everybody crazy!'. And you know, now America can't have a president that doesn't say he believes in God. So we're f**ked! Like, they f**ked everything! You wanna go and live in your weird cult and talk about a man who lives in a cloud, you do that, but don't. I mean, you really think that Barack Obama believes in God? No way!"

Vox Wrote:Not "allowed" to say that "weird s**t." That's where we're headed.

It just astounds me that people actually, truly think that "religion is ruining the world," as if all religions are the same, all are just nonsense, as if Christianity is behind all the wars, diseases, broken homes, crime, poverty, banksters, etc., when in fact, if people had listened to Holy Mother Church, these problems would be whithering away. Of course, that would require sexual restraint on the part of people, and that's just too hard, so let's blame the Church, right?

What's chilling about this is that there will come a point in the not so distant future where views like his are the norm. Religion is already blacklisted from our schools, our jobs and the public square but its mostly been about self censorship but in the future it will be because it will flat out be against the law. Mark my words this guys ideas will be mainstream within 10-15 years.
Certainly a very sad situation Vox.  What is most sad is when you think about this man's soul going to hell with no understanding of Christ's love for it, and then to think about how many more souls are the same.  I pray God that I am able to keep my faith.  It is truly something we should never take for granted.

Sadly, I think in general our country and world is headed this way, but we know a great persecution will come so it is really no surprise. Pray
I'm a 27 year old, white, Catholic, conservative, male living in NY. I assure you, these views are ALREADY prevalent among my very effed up generation.
America's French Revolution IS coming.
Liberals use liberalism just to get sympathy so they can gain power once they get it they become what Joseph McCarthy said they were  COMMUNISTS!!!!
That's unfortunate... the IT Crowd (with Chris O'Dowd is one of my favorite shows of all time.  Oh well sad

It is becoming less and less "tolerable" to even say that you believe in God or any sort of objective morality.  I find it interesting that he says he gets "less liberal" as he gets older.... it's like he knows that "tolerance" is a farce and that there is no way a person can tolerate all viewpoints as equal.
Every now and then some silly person says this sort of thing. I don't think he put any thought on the issue.
What does he mean by progress? Are the trains running late because of Christians?
Besides, there is this comical abstraction of all religions, as if there were some essence in which every particular tradition participates. As if it is equally possible that all religions throw acid on women; yes, it is very possible that the old folks praying the rosary, or some old rabbi ruining his eye sight reading old texts, will behead the infidels – after all, its all the same.
Obama might not have been elected if he declared himself to be an atheist, but he might not been elected if he said he would not defend Israel or spy on his people or raise taxes – these are things politicians says, who cares. But on the other side I don't believe a deeply religious candidate would stand a chance.

There might be persecution, but we should pray to live in peace (as St. Paul recommends in his letter to Timothy). Maybe we should adopt the gay strategy (which was really ours to begin with): to become friendly people, helpful and virtuous, so that eventually everyone will “know a religious person” and see that we are not monsters. And of course, also exalting the great work done by nuns, monks and lay religious persons all over the world – but these sort of real sacrifice might not be as influential to the sort of affluent insulated UK citizen that usually complains about “religion”.
I agree that we should strive to be at peace, but nonetheless we should also try to prepare for what is undoubtedly on the horizon in the near future. As NorthernTrad says the saddest thing is that this man and so many others like him are on a path to hell and they are either oblivious to it or don't care. The frightening thing is that those of us who do have the faith will be called to account at the Last Judgement for just what we did or didn't do to help these misguided souls out of their errors and on the path to salvation. The good news is that our good Lord never gives us more than we can bear and always can and does grant us the grace to be faithful and to be channels of grace for others. As our Lord said, "fear not those who can kill the body but rather those that have the power to kill the soul and cast it into hell." If we have faith in Jesus Christ to the end and abide in the True Vine which is both His grace and His Holy Catholic Church we have nothing to fear.
The problem with celebrities is that they mistake their fame for brains, and popularity for perspicacity.

Pages: 1 2