FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Francis: Married Priests Could Be OK if Bps Agree.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Francis: Married Priests Could Be OK if Bps Agree.

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/659/0/po...gree-on-it-

Sure -- first, marriages and then annulments!
At least their annulments will be as valid as their ordinations!  Groucho
Hey, if it's good for Eastern Rite priests, then may be......

And, if we go according to what the article states, it is a very big *if*....

Or, it could be much ado about nothing...
So, how would one get the magical label of "viri probati"?

I don't know if having married priests would solve anything. Like a trusted priest once pointed out, many protestant denominations allow for married clergy, and some have just as critical if not moreso shortage of clergy (and in some cases, a shortage of faithful, such as the United Church of Canada, among the most liberal churches in Christiandom).

If anything, being MORE faithful to genuine Catholic dogma has resulted in more vocations, not less.
(04-11-2014, 09:12 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]So, how would one get the magical label of "viri probati"?

I don't know if having married priests would solve anything. Like a trusted priest once pointed out, many protestant denominations allow for married clergy, and some have just as critical if not moreso shortage of clergy (and in some cases, a shortage of faithful, such as the United Church of Canada, among the most liberal churches in Christiandom).

If anything, being MORE faithful to genuine Catholic dogma has resulted in more vocations, not less.

I totally agree, and the stats prove it.  Wherever dogma is faithfully adhered to, the Church thrives, and where it is lax, the Church suffers. 
Reading the article it sounds like the Bishop brought the issue up with the Pope, and not vice versa.

Students talk to me all the time about letting them off tests, quizzes, and projects. It doesn't mean I let them.
I favor a change in the Western Church's discipline to allow married men to be ordained.  I find these men to be more mature and emotionally balanced than a large percentage of celibate priests, many of whom are homosexual, and showing markedly less of the narcissism and materialism (and overall self-pampering) that one sees in gay priests.
(04-11-2014, 08:13 AM)FatherCekada Wrote: [ -> ]Francis: Married Priests Could Be OK if Bps Agree.

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/659/0/po...gree-on-it-

Sure -- first, marriages and then annulments!

I can't find any place in the article where he said that.  He said it is up to the bishops to make suggestions regarding the shortage of priests.  Yep, that's scandalous, all right!  Huh?
(04-11-2014, 09:55 AM)triumphguy Wrote: [ -> ]Reading the article it sounds like the Bishop brought the issue up with the Pope, and not vice versa.

Students talk to me all the time about letting them off tests, quizzes, and projects. It doesn't mean I let them.

Well maybe, maybe not.

But this is how a higher-up who would take flack if he openly suggested some radical change "floats" the idea. Have an inferior leak a conversation to the press, and then see what kind of a reaction you get. Politicians do this all the time to manipulate public opinion, and create a groundswell of support for the idea "from below."

t will be interesting to watch how this part of the drama plays out.

While I think Francis is dull intellectually, he has a type of peasant cunning when laying the groundwork for his long-term goals. "Collegiality" will be the watchword, right? Just doin' what the bishops want!
Seminary here I come.  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10