FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The word "repent!"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to my old Webster dictionary, the word repent is defined as meaning to feel contrite over one's sins ,as to change, or decide to change, one's ways; be penitent.  The word judgment, or judge is certainly tossed about every day, but I absolutely never hear the word "repent."  In my  mind that word is key.  I can't remember a homily where that word was used.  Any comments?  Thank you for letting me say that.  It has been bothering me all week.  Perhaps the shouting of REPENT  is too scary?  Conjuring up visions of Hell?  Has the word gone out of style with no replacement?
"Contrition" covers most of what "repent" covers (in a noun form, of course).  "Penance" is close, but involves more than just repentance.

The short answer is that both are, and have always been, out of fashion with the world, but in fashion with God the Father, His all-merciful Son, and the inspirer of all holy thoughts, the Holy Spirit of both.

There are, unfortunately, even in the Church people who prefer the relatively colorless word "reconciliation" for the sacrament of Penance.