FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rosary mysteries during Easter octave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems odd to me to meditate on the sorrowful mysteries during the Easter octave, so I've been praying the glorious mysteries all week. Does anyone else follow this practice?

I can't seem to find any official information on this online but I'm wondering if there is any traditional custom of not praying the sorrowful mysteries during this week.
If you are a member of the rosary confraternity and wish to participate in the spiritual goods of the association, you'll need to say all 15 mysteries of the rosary to gain them.
(04-23-2014, 09:09 PM)Prie dieu Wrote: [ -> ]If you are a member of the rosary confraternity and wish to participate in the spiritual goods of the association, you'll need to say all 15 mysteries of the rosary to gain them.

Not a member but a good point.
The Church specifically treats the Bright Week of the Resurrection of the Lord as a single day, liturgically. Following the mind of the Church should yield Glorious Mysteries from every rosary on every day of this week. Popular piety does not, however, usually conform to the mind of the Church.

Were I a user of the rosary, I would certainly pray Glorious all week. Christ is Risen; alleluia. Praise God.
(04-23-2014, 09:28 PM)Heorot Wrote: [ -> ]The Church specifically treats the Bright Week of the Resurrection of the Lord as a single day, liturgically. Following the mind of the Church should yield Glorious Mysteries from every rosary on every day of this week. Popular piety does not, however, usually conform to the mind of the Church.

Were I a user of the rosary, I would certainly pray Glorious all week. Christ is Risen; alleluia. Praise God.

Indeed that's a really good point.
(04-23-2014, 09:02 PM)Pinkerton Wrote: [ -> ]It seems odd to me to meditate on the sorrowful mysteries during the Easter octave, so I've been praying the glorious mysteries all week. Does anyone else follow this practice?

I can't seem to find any official information on this online but I'm wondering if there is any traditional custom of not praying the sorrowful mysteries during this week.

I agree with you and have been praying the Glorious Mysteries all week.  I don't know if there is any source that mandates this and I've been meaning to ask my pastor.  In my parish (FSSP), the Sorrowful Mysteries are prayed before masses from Ash Wednesday through Holy Saturday.  Likewise, the Joyful Mysteries are prayed throughout Advent.  I don't remember if the Glorious Mysteries are just during the Easter octave or if they continue through Pentecost before resuming the normal weekly rotation.
(04-23-2014, 09:02 PM)Pinkerton Wrote: [ -> ]It seems odd to me to meditate on the sorrowful mysteries during the Easter octave, so I've been praying the glorious mysteries all week. Does anyone else follow this practice?

The rosary is not frozen in stone. You can do as you think best.
Well, I am praying 15 decades every day, at least. And try to pray 7 sorrows rosary daily.
Me too, Puppy99. Been doing this for the last almost 6 years now.
Liturgically speaking (in the old traditional rite in both East and West) it's considered one long Easter from the Paschal Vigil on Holy Saturday till at least the first Vespers of low Sunday so in light of that I'm praying the Glorious Mysteries exclusively. There is no hard and fast rule on this so if you are accustomed to praying all 15 decades daily than have at it. Since I pray the monastic diurnal I basically pray all the hours (lauds through vespers) as if it were Easter Sunday including the antiphons for the psalter so it actually feels like one big feast of our Lord's Resurrection; not to mention the Collects all speak as if it were still Easter. I find that to meditate daily on the Glorious Mysteries during this season of great grace to the exclusion of the other mysteries not only puts me in the spirit of the feast and the season, it also allows for a sustained lectio divina of the Glorious Mysteries that might not otherwise be the case.