FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Official SSPX position on canonisations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that the SSPX decried the then-impending canonisations of John XXIII and John Paul II, a few days ago and of course many times in the past. I have also seen interviews and articles in which they have criticised these and given reasons to question the infallibility of the canonisations, and indeed all those conducted since Vatican II or at any rate since the new process was introduced.
My family and I attend a Traditional Mass offered by Oratorian priests in terms of Summorum Pontificum, but I believe the priest gave a rousing sermon on the canonisations at the local SSPX chapel (presumably anti!).
Does anyone know if the SSPX has issued an official communique or other statement where it sets out its *official* position as to whether it recognises the validity of the canonisations or not? Obviously they are critical, but do they, now it has happened, officially accept the judgment of the Church and regard the two Popes as officially Saints, even if they believe the canonisations should not have happened, or do they officially take the position that these were evidently *not* infallible and thus refuse the designation "saint" to the two Popes?
I am looking for the *official*, post-ceremony SSPX position, as I know that before yesterday there were strong criticisms, and individuals have their own views...but now it's happened, it's different.
God bless.
Well lets see. It can now be stated, by liberal and progressive Catholics, that Archbishop Lefebvre was excommunicated by San Giavanni Paulo II. Doesn't leave much room for their opinions does it!.
That's funny.  What if I think Archbishop Lefebvre is a saint?

So, can a saint excommunicate another saint? Dose it ever happen in the church's history?
(04-28-2014, 02:30 AM)puppy99 Wrote: [ -> ]That's funny.  What if I think Archbishop Lefebvre is a saint?

So, can a saint excommunicate another saint? Dose it ever happen in the church's history?

True, but we all know that Archbishop Lefebvre, as well as Benedict XVI (when he reposes), will never be cannonized as saints. Even if 20 people declare miracles, by both of them. Sainthood does involve a bit of politics as well. And anything that threatens the agenda of the mainstream Catholic bishops, will be null and void. 
(04-28-2014, 02:30 AM)puppy99 Wrote: [ -> ]That's funny.  What if I think Archbishop Lefebvre is a saint?

Plus the church determines the status of a saint, not individuals. Sad to say!. 
(04-28-2014, 02:41 AM)bkovacs Wrote: [ -> ]

True, but we all know that Archbishop Lefebvre, as well as Benedict XVI (when he reposes), will never be cannonized as saints. Even if 20 people declare miracles, by both of them. Sainthood does involve a bit of politics as well. And anything that threatens the agenda of the mainstream Catholic bishops, will be null and void. 

Maybe one day. This crisis won't last for ever. Our Lady promised. So who knows, there might be a Saint Marcel. Other saints have been excommunicated. He wouldn't be the first.
Thanks for the responses thus far. Anything "official" or even semi-official since the actual ceremony from the SSPX? I am waiting and watching the usual news sites and blogs with interest...
I am fairly sure that I saw "St Maksymilian Kolbe" and "St Faustina Kowalska" on SSPX sites. So they do accept at least some of new canonisations. I'm not sure about Josemaria Escriva. Do you know whether after JP2's beatification the Fraternity referred to him as 'Blessed'?

Wow, I've found something very interesting on a Polish trad forum (translation mine)

Quote:Rzeczpospolita [a Polish daily newspaper]: Does the Fraternity recognise saints canonised after the Council?
Bp [Richard] Williamson: Some of them, yes, for example Saint Maksymilian Kolbe. The problem is, John Paul II made the canonisation process visibly easier. So the definition of canonisation and sainthood was changed.
Rzeczpospolita: And what if John Paul II himself becomes declared a saint? Will the Society recognise that?
Bp Williamson: If the process is conducted properly, according to all rules, and if the verdict says so, then yes, absolutely.
(„Kościół musi wrócić do prawdy” [The Church Must Return to the Truth], Rzeczpospolita, 28 December 2006)

Apparenyl, none other than bishop Richard Williamson did not rule out the possibility of St JP2. So why is he so vehemently opposed to it now, even more than the SSPX? What didn't he like about the process?
BTT
Any official communique?
Would be hilarious if the SSPX were to hold as invalid a canonization declared formally by a Pope that they claim is entirely valid, when refuting accusations that they are sedevacantists. Sedes would be laughing their heads off at the charade.

I know that many trad priests are perfectly fine with these canonizations, but I have not heard of an officialy SSPX position. My guess is a response will come, but not immediately. Usually takes a little time.
Pages: 1 2