FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "'It takes a village", said Francis (or Hillary Clinton?…)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
and "schools are the first organizations to unite families"‽ What about churches?
Can't quote African proverbs without showing a bunch of black kids in a classroom.

I think it does take a village -- that is, a village, not a government, which is what Hillary was meaning. That it takes a village is pretty obvious from seeing how the larger culture (or non-culture), how people outside the family, etc., affect how kids turn out.

I've made a point not to take Francis seriously anymore.
"I have seen the village. I do no want it raising my children."

From Saint JPII's Familiaris Consortio:

Quote:36. The task of giving education is rooted in the primary vocation of married couples to participate in God's creative activity: by begetting in love and for love a new person who has within himself or herself the vocation to growth and development, parents by that very fact take on the task of helping that person effectively to live a fully human life. As the Second Vatican Council recalled, "since parents have conferred life on their children, they have a most solemn obligation to educate their offspring. Hence, parents must be acknowledged as the first and foremost educators of their children. Their role as educators is so decisive that scarcely anything can compensate for their failure in it. For it devolves on parents to create a family atmosphere so animated with love and reverence for God and others that a well-rounded personal and social development will be fostered among the children. Hence, the family is the first school of those social virtues which every society needs."(99)

The right and duty of parents to give education is essential, since it is connected with the transmission of human life; it is original and primary with regard to the educational role of others, on account of the uniqueness of the loving relationship between parents and children; and it is irreplaceable and inalienable, and therefore incapable of being entirely delegated to others or usurped by others.

[...]

40. The family is the primary but not the only and exclusive educating community. Man's community aspect itself-both civil and ecclesial-demands and leads to a broader and more articulated activity resulting from well-ordered collaboration between the various agents of education. All these agents are necessary, even though each can and should play its part in accordance with the special competence and contribution proper to itself.(104)

The educational role of the Christian family therefore has a very important place in organic pastoral work. This involves a new form of cooperation between parents and Christian communities, and between the various educational groups and pastors. In this sense, the renewal of the Catholic school must give special attention both to the parents of the pupils and to the formation of a perfect educating community.

The right of parents to choose an education in conformity with their religious faith must be absolutely guaranteed.

The State and the Church have the obligation to give families all possible aid to enable them to perform their educational role properly. Therefore both the Church and the State must create and foster the institutions and activities that families justly demand, and the aid must be in proportion to the families' needs. However, those in society who are in charge of schools must never forget that the parents have been appointed by God Himself as the first and principal educators of their children and that their right is completely inalienable.

We equate schooling with education. But they are not the same. Schooling is a process of indoctrination, conformity and inculturation that is independent from education, although it generally  happens in the context of "giving an education".

Now, as a parent we have the ability to enlist the aid of the state to educate our children, but we as parents should be the primary educators. That is, sadly, not what happens to most children these days.

From John Taylor Gatto:

Quote:Family is the main engine of education. If we use schooling to break children away from parents - and make no mistake, that has been the central function of schools since John Cotton announced it as the purpose of the Bay Colony schools in 1650 and Horace Mann announced it as the purpose of Massachusetts schools in 1850 - we're going to continue to have the horror show we have right now. The curriculum of family is at the heart of any good life, we've gotten away from that curriculum, time to return to it. The way to sanity in education is for our schools to take the lead in releasing the stranglehold of institutions on family life, to promote during school time confluences of parent and child that will strengthen family bonds.
taken from http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/john_gatto.html
I don't see anything wrong with this talk.
The Pope does concedes the primacy of the family, but recognizes that society is not saturated in the family. Even if all a kid has to learn is the trade of the father, he learns it because of the village; say, there's no meaning in a shoemaker without people other than himself or his children to wear the shoe. Even more so in our complex society.
And of course, schools for kids are not only to teach them the trivium, but its also a place where they learn discipline and relationship with people from outside the family – say, the relationship between a teacher and a mother is radically different, but they are both valid, so to speak, and a kid must learn both.
And surely this does not exclude the Church; after all, traditionally, in the West, education was a thing of the Church. Secular state schools are not only a modern thing but are actually quite recent – my grandparents' generation were all educated by the Church, so really, its in living memory.
(05-12-2014, 04:43 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]"I have seen the village. I do no want it raising my children."

Ha, heard that! But it doesn't make "a village" less important. All of which just means Catholics need to clean up the human element of the Church and evangelize more so that the village we get is a Catholic one.