FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Francis would Baptize Martians
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://time.com/97695/pope-francis-would...?hpt=hp_t3

[pre]In a homily delivered Monday, Pope Francis said he’d totally baptize Martians if they showed up at the Vatican demanding to be baptized.

He was trying to illustrate the point that everyone has the right to receive the Holy Spirit — even aliens from faraway planets.

“If tomorrow, for example, an expedition of Martians arrives and some of them come to us … and if one of them says: ‘Me, I want to be baptized!’, what would happen?” the pontiff said, according to AFP.  He defined these hypothetical beings as “green men, with a long nose and big ears, like children draw.” For extra emphasis, he added, “Who are we to close doors?”[/pre]

In the (unlikely) event that some sort of alien species is found, what are your thoughts on baptizing them?  I assume they would have to have sufficient intelligence to understand baptism, and desire it, but beyond that?  I've never read a traditionalists take on this.  :)

Michael
I am NO (have no choice). But I really think that the quest to search for life in other planets is just a quest to disprove Christianity and that the earth is special. It's a quest to prove the Copernican principle.

Regarding what aliens probably are, if you really want things to get weird research Aleister Crowley, Helena Blavatsky and the types of messages New Agers channel.
It's disheartened to see our Pope dose not have a Catholic faith. Even if he's joking, he shouldn't joke like that.  >:(
I am not saying they can not be baptized but what would be the point? None humans would have no stain of original sin hence no reason to be reconciled to God.
(05-14-2014, 10:03 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I am not saying they can not be baptized, but what would be the point? Non-humans would have no stain of Original Sin, hence no reason to be reconciled to God.

We don't know whether non-angelic non-humans have the stain of Original Sin or no. Why? We have no hard, verifiable evidence whether they exist or no. Until we do, we are only giving our own personal opinions and nothing else.
Pope Francis is using an analogy.
(05-14-2014, 08:14 AM)Michael Levanduski Wrote: [ -> ]http://time.com/97695/pope-francis-would...?hpt=hp_t3

[pre]In a homily delivered Monday, Pope Francis said he’d totally baptize Martians if they showed up at the Vatican demanding to be baptized.

He was trying to illustrate the point that everyone has the right to receive the Holy Spirit — even aliens from faraway planets.

“If tomorrow, for example, an expedition of Martians arrives and some of them come to us … and if one of them says: ‘Me, I want to be baptized!’, what would happen?” the pontiff said, according to AFP.  He defined these hypothetical beings as “green men, with a long nose and big ears, like children draw.” For extra emphasis, he added, “Who are we to close doors?”[/pre]

In the (unlikely) event that some sort of alien species is found, what are your thoughts on baptizing them?  I assume they would have to have sufficient intelligence to understand baptism, and desire it, but beyond that?  I've never read a traditionalists take on this.  :)

Michael

Thanks for posting this. Although I have not read the article I don't trust the secular media's interpretations of Pope Francis's homilies. It is true that Pope Francis has a reputation for making somewhat ambiguous statements, however I don't trust most of the secular news outlets. This is most definitely true of Time which I consider nothing but a liberal rag. Thus I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

As for the existence of extraterrestrial life I don't know whether there is such a thing or not. I am more inclined to believe that aliens do not exist. However whether they exist or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the media and popular culture has put so much hype and fuzz regarding the existence of aliens for one main reason alone. They are doing this for the same thing that atheistic scientists such as Hawkins, Dawkins, Darwin and others are. Through the works and ideas of these atheistic scientists they express the ideas that humans are not valuable, meaning that there is no significance to human life. They view the existence of humanity and of the university in a very pessimistic way. They view our existence as if we were some mere accident, that we are merely some speck in these huge universe.

This idea is drastically opposed to and incompatible with Christianity's teaching that humans are created in the image and likeness of God. Thus just as these atheistic scientists are trying to distract us from these gorgeous understanding of humanity which Christians believe and profess, I think that this hype on aliens whether they exist or not, is trying to accomplish the same goal as these scientists and intellectuals, namely to distract us away from focusing on our significense as children of God and to make us feel as if there is no meaning or significance to existing or being created.
"This idea is drastically opposed to and incompatible with Christianity's teaching that humans are created in the image and likeness of God."

What does image and likeness refer to? Our physical attributes: How many fingers, upright stance?

Or our ability to use reason, our free will, our desire for the "otherness" of God, our innate sprituality?
(05-14-2014, 10:03 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: [ -> ]I am not saying they can not be baptized but what would be the point? None humans would have no stain of original sin hence no reason to be reconciled to God.
We don't know that for sure about extra-terrestrials